CAA to prosecute all Class A infringements?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rod1

CAA to prosecute all Class A infringements?

Post by Rod1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm

From Flyer;

"A word to the wise.. The CAA is hardening it's stance on airspace infringements to the point where the number of prosecutions is likely to rise. I've been told by senior figures in CAA that henceforth any infringement of Class A airspace will land you in court. Up to now the CAA have been prepared to be flexible, especially if you have displayed good airmanship by squawking. But now it doesn't matter if you if you've just dipped your wing into the zone you are for the high jump."

Anybody confirm this is the case?

Rod1

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 pm

It does go rather against what the AWARE team are saying.

merlin

Post by merlin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 am

A zero tolerance approach does not seem to make sense as education was I think the preferred route for all users/infringers whether they be GA, Military or CAT.

The AWARE has been a tremendous success and low cost simples tech is theway forward.
roger breckell

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:29 am

Update

The article was written by Martin Robinson of AOPA (but published in Flyer). No conformation yet as to the truth of it though.

Rod1

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 am

Ovious answer is turn of transponder if you get lost !
That trend will help safety no end! :roll:
John Cook

NATS General Aviation Lead

Post by NATS General Aviation Lead » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:00 am

I try not to routinely butt in on the forums wearing my NATS hat but I feel, in this case, it may be valuable to post some facts around the issue now we have confirmed CAA policy and the reasoning behind AOPAs article in FLYER.

There is no change with regard to CAA policy and prosecutions.

Giles Porter (Head of Flight Operations GA) took the opportunity to reaffirm to the audience at last night's CAA (GASCo) Safety Evening at Shoreham, that all parties involved in the Airspace and Safety Initiative (including CAA, NATS, AOPA and the LAA) remained completely committed to the concept that education rather than prosecution was always preferable in relation to airspace infringements in all but a few exceptional cases.

Additionally, Air Regulation Enforcement (ARE) confirmed that they said to Martin Robinson (AOPA) that any infringement of airspace which has resulted in significant disruption to commercial traffic will be investigated with a view to a prosecution. The initiation of that investigation is only normally commenced when reporting controller has alleged a serious breach of air navigation legislation. This has always been the case and remains so.

NATS operates a Just Culture and as such would always advocate education and understanding of any airspace infringement to help prevent a future occurrence. We have clear evidence, as an Air Navigation Service Provider, that this policy is both fair, effective and productive. We would see no reason to alter that policy or strategy when airspace infringement numbers have recently fallen significantly for the first time in several years.

I would like to clarify one item with regard to the operation of transponders. NATS feel that the operation of a transponder in combination with altitude information (when equipped) offers significant protection to the crew of the equipped aircraft and to the crew and passengers of TCAS equipped aircraft which come into conflict, whether inside or outside of controlled airspace. The emission of data from these airframes also enables many other 'safety nets' in the air traffic system and as such NATS regard the decision of a crew of a transponder equipped aircraft not to operate a transponder or to switch off the transponder in flight (except in some very specific circumstances) as negligent despite the fact that national legislation may not require the operation of the equipment. This may be regarded by some as harsh or draconian but does acknowledge the clear and obvious safety benefit that NATS observe from the routine use of transponders to help keep the busy skies we all strive to share, safe.
Jonathan Smith
NATS General Aviation Lead

D: 01489 612645
M: 07966 505088
E: [email protected]

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank you Jonathan for clearing up this matter. I am delighted to hear that CAA has not decided to change what has proved to be an effective policy of education rather than prosecution with regard to infringement. The very positive reduction in infringements seen in 2010, the first reduction for many years, is a real feather in the cap to NATS and the CAA for taking a pro-active approach to the problem after too many years of refusing to accept that there were issues on both sides rather than it being wholly a GA pilot problem. Well done to you and your team for the foresight in intiatives like the Aware GPS, and the forthecoming Prepare planning software.