Airspace for the Olympics

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Mike, yes we are aware of the 8th April meeting and will be in attendance. A note will be going up on the website shortly seeking input from those at strips in the affected area. I willl be proposing that Farthing Corner has an entry/exit lane along the M2 motorway (east out/west in) and suggest you offer a definitive entry/exit lane directly out of the zone for your strip also.
One would hope that this is an initial meeting to discuss outline proposals for amendments rather than specific individual requests. That will need time to assimilate.

Airstripflyer

Post by Airstripflyer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I had a reply from the CAA to my request to operate in the Restricted Zone without a transponder. I am close to the southern boundary.

Mike,

Under the regulations for the Restricted Zone, that is correct. However, depending on the position of your strip, there may be a possibility of an exemption. Could you send me the location of your strip - the lat and long?

Regards,

Dawn Lindsey

Mike Clark

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 pm

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill.
Knee jerk reactions rarely work.
Bottom line is I don't need to preach to the converted,There are far better ways to bomb the olympics and I am sure that terrorists already know that. I don't propose to give them any help by pointing out how on a public forum.
That said , I don't need to point out that these draconian measures will have absolutley no effect on public safety other than make Mr and Mrs Average Daily Mail reader feel secure.
If ultimately common sense does not prevail then there still remains the option for ALL pilots to ignore the no fly zone.
The CAA would be hard put to prosecute every pilot that takes part, especially if after the event nothing has happend. Any test case as a result would the prove the restrictions as being excessive .
That's the stage at which we may need to raise funds for a legal action in my opinion.
John Cook

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:48 pm

Not too keen on breaking the Law personally. nor encouraging others. It's a non productive exercise.

Any flyer doing that from my airfield will automatically incriminate me.

mike hallam

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 am

Yes Mike, we generally do not have the French mentality of kicking off when oppressed by government, we tend to turn the other cheek so they can slap that one as well. I do admire the French for their arrogant disregard of unreasonable authority.
The reality is that positive action isn't something we do well, look at the calls for public protest on fuel prices for instance - it just doesn't happen. And nor would it happen if there was a call for a mass revolt from pilots.
Let's hope it doesn't come to that anyway.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

This is now up on the BMAA site, presume they the LAA and the Alliance are singing from a similar hymn sheet.
mike.

Olympics and the BMAA response page now available.

See here for details

www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=5696

Time is short, so please do what you can to spread the word.

Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Hughes
BMAA Member

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:30 pm

It is now up on the LAA page as well.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm

For anyone that has missed it there is a plea for a fighting fund to fund a judicial revue on the Flyer Forum.

My personal take is that this needs a coordinated approach.

Mike, I was not advocating revolution but we need to stand together especially if all reasonable avenues fail.
John Cook

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:36 pm

I agee John,

I don't see how we can accept the restricted zone as it stands. It is a totally arbitrary line drawn on a map that causes numerous problems.
There will be choke points and possible resultant safety implications, eg; Getting down the east side is renedered near impossible due to the RZ coming up against the Foulness danger area.

I really don't believe that the system could possibly cope if we all sought to fly as normal and comply with the FP requirements.

Transponder requirement must be a problem for a huge percentage of LAA and BMAA flyers. Then what about gliders!

The whole thing is a classic example of being seen to do something as a political posture, whilst having no real utility.

Then, to cap it all we appear to be encouraged to be Olympic Airspace Ambassadors ! Surely that gives an impression of us endorsing this madness? I guess that ends any hope of a united front in the aviation community.

We will regret this stance once we see further security restrictions imposed during the great event.

Not impressed. I'd also advocate the revolution, but I realise that most folks just lie down and take it.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 pm

And I see the BMAA has also posted their direct updating web link on this subject.

I attended a meeting especially convened last Monday of affected pilots, operators & flyers in the Sussex area to discuss & deal with this situation from our perspective. A team is working on writing our proposal now for simple identifiable routes to exit the zone the short way, with Radio, not transponder nor flight plan.

We intend sending the BMAA & LAA a copy.

It should cover how we'd compromise for zone exit needs to the Olympics people & our deadline for submission to them, once our draft is circulated amongst us and finalised, at the absolute latest is the end of March.

Mike Hallam

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Looking at the BMAA site I thought they said the restriction starts a 2500' but I understand that it goes to the ground. Perhaps microlighters are in for more of a shock than they think.
If there are as many helicopters flying around as quoted there must be a lot more of them than I thought existed, even allowing for US NAVY and Marines flying around saving the world.
I wonder if this event will be as big a loss as I think it will especially if there are all those freeloaders coming an going called officials. I still remember the Dome and the flop there, have you seen the prices to go to it?

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:49 pm

Mr. Dawes,

There are two bulletins on the rolling BMAA reporting site. The older one with 2,500 ft base refers to the broader consultative NATS scheme. Aimed at handling safely a massive surge in expected traffic over the Olympics period.

Latest is the update telling of the 'bombshell' ground level ban dumped on us all for anywhere up to 30 miles from London, right out of the blue, sans any consultation, either internally or with us it seems.

That's the one to try to obtain an acceptable work around & which satisfies SB.

mike.

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:29 am

To see the yawning chasm between the way TfL have had to consult on the Olympic and Paralimpic Route Network and the way the airspace restrictions have been handled, see here:

http://www.london2012.com/olympic-route ... d-prn.html

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 pm

LAA & BMAA now have a copy of the Southern Flyers 'Proposal' to CAAOlympics.

mike.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 pm

1) The CAA have acknowledged safe receipt of SF's own detailed Proposal for alleviation which will be included at their meeting on 8th April.

2) N.B.
Individual members' whose strips lie within the Large Olympics two months Restricted Zone around London & Counties beyond.

Unless they are assured the LAA or BMAA will cover their specific situation, any Airfield, airstrip or aerodrome Operator who's not already been mentioned in, or has has NOT yet written to the CAA Olympics address, [details given in the Ban doc's] risks their own strip's detail needs being forgotten.

mike hallam