End of the NPPL

Post by C Rule » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:27 pm

If I read this correctly
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?gid=2061
The NPPL will end in 2014/15

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:02 am

It ain't necessarily so...

I think it all depends on whether you fly an EASA aircraft or not, and whether you want to fly outside the UK.

Section 1.4 last paragraph says you can carry on flying your non-EASA aircraft (ie Annex II) on a national licence (eg NPPL or UK PPL).

However, it will be UK flying only and non-EASA aircraft. I think that's in line with what the CAA said last year, that the NPPL and GP medical declaration would still exist for UK use only and non-EASA aircraft.

Also in Attachment 3, below the conversion table it says an NPPL issued after 8th April 2012 will not be convertible to the LAPL, so it must still be possible to use one for something.

5.6 says the Conversion table in attachment 5 gives details of how the national licences can be converted to EASA ones, if the holder wishes to do so. I assume that leaves the choice up to you.

Obviously all the hot air coming from the EU makes it harder to keep up in the air so you need a different licence to fly there, and we all know the more modern aircraft are harder to fly!

... but I could be wrong!

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:16 pm

I need to find the time to read this more fully. My first scan through it suggests that the NPPL(M) is going to be left as is, ie same medical, same rights of foreign travel, same reval requirements. If so, the sales of microlights is going to go up, I feel.

If you can't beat them, joint them.

Rans6......
Andrew Cattell

Rans S6 Microlight.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Current thinking is that the LAPL - the Europe-wide Light Aircraft Pilots Licence - will be available with almost identical medical requirements to the NPPL. An initial medical from your own doctor based on the driver's medical, and then a periodic sign off. Over 50 years of age a periodic medical.
The question is whether there is any need to continue with NPPL SSEA when you can have the LAPL for the same medical.
Nothing set in stone yet but I think the LAPL is looking pretty good at the moment.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:02 am

I guess things are changing all the time, but I thought the last mention of the LAPL medical was going to require certain examinations, rather than an informed look at your GP medical records.
If that's the case, they are likely to charge something, but it was also biannually from some age (?55 or 60 maybe - I can't recall the detail as it doesn't affect me now).
The GP sign off for NPPL is annually from 65. My last one was just that - a (free) sign off, but I'd gone for a checkup anyway.

We can but hope.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:02 am

Dave, My surgury does do an examination for the NPPL sign off, and charges £65. HGV drivers are treated the same. I understand this is not unusual.

The NPPL(SSEA) will still be of interest post LAPL to those that also have a NPPL(M) as you can spread your hours for revalidation between the two.

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:42 pm

The NPPL(M) appears to be the best game in town. Reciprocal European entry arrangements, untouched by EASA. High performance modern aircraft are available (at a price!) The BMAA are to be congratulated. how long will it be before those small Aeroplanes that were built before the cut off date migrate to microlight status en masse?

JohnMead

Post by JohnMead » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Brian Hope wrote:. .......
The question is whether there is any need to continue with NPPL SSEA when you can have the LAPL for the same medical.

There is every need to continue, the medical requirements are NOT the same .

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:23 am

I agree with John. The NPPL was hard won and too valuable to the likes of me to lose.
I'd like to know asap whether I should continue spending time and money on my building project, or lock the garage door and give up before spending any more money or valuable time.
Very sad to have got this far and be frustrated by the bureaucrats in Europe.(I'm trying to be polite about this, but it isn't easy!)
Ian

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

The continuation of my flying activities depends on the NPPL DVLC Group 1(Private driving modified) medical classification, that allows me to fly solo.

The developments via EASA are clearly to the advantage of many NPPLs who qualify under Group 2 medical standards, but the (assumed) minority who are in my position medically are, hopefully, having their interests looked after by the LAA.

Can anyone confirm what is happening with this matter? This is causing me some anxiety!

Ian

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Ian, it is unlikely that NPPL will end if there are people who need to continue using it. Part of the problem at the moment is that certain aspects of the LAPL have yet to be finalised, though the basic GP medical requirement now seems settled. It may well be that a solo only class of medical is part of the deal, in which case that licence will be a good deal for you too.
I cannot believe that whatever happens you will be in a worse situation than you are now. I will ask some of those who are better in the know than I when I get home tomorrow but I wouldn't be stressing too nuch about it if I were you. Get down that garage and carry on building!

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks Brian and I'll press on. I can just about see the light at the end of the tunnel with the BF( hopefully not the headlight of an oncoming express train!).

Ian