Distance between runway edge and stock fence

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

davidbeer2010

Distance between runway edge and stock fence

Post by davidbeer2010 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:35 pm

Does anyone know if there is a minium distance to be maintained between a runway edge (grass strip) and a stock proof fence?

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:21 pm

If its an airstrip there are no rules - If I remember right Finmere had the fence on the runway edge which caused some incidents over the years.

But Finmere was a standard 45metre wide hard runway

It depends on the runway width and the wing span of those regularly using the strip.
Stuart Macconnacher

gasax

Post by gasax » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Extract from CAP 793 runway Physical Characteristics

Aircraft category: - Light Aeroplane (<2730 kg MTOM)

Length: The greater length of 1.25 x Take-Off Distance Required or
1.43 x Landing Distance Required, as detailed in Pilot’s Operating Handbook.

Width - 18 m. No vertical obstacles within 25 m either side of centre line. Runway end obstacles (hedges etc.) not above 2 m high.

Which might be difficult to fully meet but is a good starting point.
Pete Morris

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 pm

So, has Mr Beer hit a fence and is now wondering if liability sits with the strip owner? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

davidbeer2010

Post by davidbeer2010 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the valuable feedback regarding the strip question. As for Jonathan’s amusing comment. I am sorry to disappoint him as, up until now (touch wood) I have managed to avoid the temporary electric fence in question. However we a have a hot ship RV owner who feels it is somewhat to close for comfort!! He could be right.
Regards
David

gasax

Post by gasax » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:40 am

The numbers from CAP 783 are pretty much equivalent to those for a licensed field so there is plenty of scope for reduction.

In our area there is a strip with around an 11m total width before a massive ditch - in 20 odd years it has only claimed one aircraft.

The key is the conditions and the pilots ability to cope with them. Whilst RVs are pretty good short field aircraft I do see a lot of them flown so they use a lot of runway. Touching down at speed gives a lot of potential for using the runway 'width' and so more.....

So if it 'feels' narrow - it probably is!
Pete Morris

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 pm

presumably as its a private strip then CAP 783 is a recommendation and in now way a requirement.
Not knowing the currrent width of your strip or height of the fence, or what else is based there, its difficult to comment, but Im surprised that an RV needs any more than various other aircraft.
In my expereince (600hrs RV6) RVs tend to land pretty straight and narrow runways arent a problem. Its more of a problem on take off, but still pretty easy to keep straight, the main difficulty is if the strip is very rough and you get thrown about before getting to flying speed.
If landed at the correct speed they also dont use that much runway. 300m being sufficient on most days.

If the aircraft owner isnt happy with it, then maybe he has a point and moving the fence would be a good idea. On the other hand maybe a session with an LAA coach practicing strip landings might be a good idea too.

RVs have pretty short wingspans, so maybe the fence is a bit close for other types that might visit??

STICKRUDDER

Post by STICKRUDDER » Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Pete - are you still there ?

Long time no see - and surely about time you visited my (latest) 500+ yd strip up here in the wilds north of Mintlaw - a 'gentle switchback' effect, but we spend a lot of time and money tending it, and your hotship will have no difficulty whatsoever (ask Maurice, or Alan W.).

You presumably heard that the Zenair's Verner finally delivered coup de grace to the poor machine, and I'm presently trying to wriggle out of last year's most unwise acquisition of a 1975 150L - know anybody who wants one ?! I'm now after a big-engined Cub, or something very similar...

Cheers for now / David P.