Plymouth Airport

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Price

Plymouth Airport

Post by John Price » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:44 am

Yet more bad news Plymouth will close at the end of the year. A press release was issued this morning and reported on the BBC. :cry:

It looks as if the holding company will retain the land for future devolopment of 'other interests '.

John.

NickChittenden

Post by NickChittenden » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:25 am

Yes, a great shame, but the writing has been on the wall for years. I would also wager that it's not the safest airfield to fly single engined aircraft from, having been flying in there with the resident airline for the last seven years I'm only too aware of the sea of housing and development that surrounds the airport. Any EFATO in a single would be likely to end in a nasty mess.

However, write to your MP and Plymouth City Council, have a jolly good moan about the loss of Plymouth to GA traffic and suggest that Plymouth City Council support the development of a new GA field nearby. I've spotted a few good fields a couple of miles NW of the present site.

One can't really expect the private company who run the airport, Sutton Harbour Holdings, to run the airport at a loss for the benefit of the users, however, Plymouth City Council seem to have conceeded the airport site without apparent protest, and SHH will carry on with the remainder of the 143 year lease on a peppercorn rent.

I would like to state that this all seems very above board and not at all questionable........