Oxford's attempted Olympic Airspace 'grab'

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Steve Slater

Oxford's attempted Olympic Airspace 'grab'

Post by Steve Slater » Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 pm

I've just had first sight of this chart, attached to a letter from "London Oxford Airport" (doesn't the name say it all), regarding their proposal to claim the marked area of airspaces as Class D controlled airspace for the duration of the Olympics.

While we of course knew that a number of airports would seek temporary controlled airspace to handle additional movements, this proposal seems particularly excessive.

Combined with the Home Office restricted zone, this would effectively close the 'Abingdon gap' and prevent any Class G airspace movements to the East of the Cotswolds.

As the operator of a vintage type with a non-approved radio installation, it would effectively ground me for the duration. Nor would I be able to glide from Hinton, Weston on the Green or Bicester.

If Oxford is planning on using 01/19 for anticipated Olympic traffic, I cannot see any justification for their requirement for controlled airspace to the East of the M40 or South of Oxford, to the East of the A34.

Both of these would give easy definition for VFR navigation, although the latter will further narrow the heavily-trafficked bottleneck at the edge of the Benson zone.

I also am concerned given Oxford’s recent keen-ness to take over airspace control from Lyneham, that this ‘temporary’ zone will be used in future to create a dangerous precedent.

If you, like me are concerned and wish to respond, the person who sent this letter to local airfields as part of their compulsory consultation process is Alison Evans, manager ATS at Oxford airport. [email protected] aybe you would like to also copy in NATS too.

Stephen Slater

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Mon May 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Steve,

By "Olympics" do you mean the full two months July through September 2011, or s'thing less ?
The red line shewn on the chart indicates a substantial and irregular closure, how can they do that ?

BTW What/ how does this tie in with the CAA/NATs Consultation for lowering airspace etc. elsewhwere in the south for safer operation to incoming pax a/c for the games ?

Then of course we're still facing the possible easement here & there to the HMG dictat closure by NATS negotiators, aided by the LAA/BMAA etc. Alliance. Otherwise it's closing off whole of greater Greater London, the Home Counties & beyond - unless Txpdr equipped and approved Flt plans - no pleasure there !

Seems to be either the Gov's agents' organisation is in chaos or it's a cunningly promoted three pronged attack on our Civil liberties. Maybe there's even more & worse in the pipeline ??

I think I'll shoot myself it's so depressingly Old Labour style, I thought this Cameron lot promised us they were going to kill off Quangos, not us !

mike hallam.

martinshaw

Post by martinshaw » Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Sweet FA happens at Kidlington, sorry London Oxford. Flew past it twice yesterday and nothing was going on. This must surely be a wind-up.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Some good news at last!

Ive seen the latest Oxford proposal and it is quite reasonable. Just a small area of airspace, 5nm wide going from overhead the airfield, south to the CPT VOR and from 3500ft to 5000ft.
and only for 8 days, 4 at the beginning and 4 at the end of the Olympics. They actually say in their proposal that the dont consider that the paralympics will generate any extra traffic for Oxford.

It seems the earlier ideas that Steve saw got shot down in flames at quite an early stage!

Im not sure where to find the consultation, I got sent a copy by Oxford ATC after complaining to the CAA a couple of weeks ago, based on Steve's earlier post.

The other development at Oxford is that they will have both primary and secondary radar from April 2012 if all goes to their plan.