Orphans - It's Official!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

PB

Orphans - It's Official!

Post by PB » Thu May 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Good news for my Jodel 1050 project and anyone else with a French 'orphan'. My letter from the CAA arrived today and it has been confirmed that it will be on a Permit.

The interesting bit is a note on the back to say that, "A Permit to Fly may be issued with differing Flight Conditions or Maintenance Limitations according to the results of the survey". I'm not much interested in flying my old Jodel in IMC but does anyone know if this means we may be able to get a set of limitations that allows flight at night with appropriate equipment and maintenance?

ffg

Post by ffg » Thu May 01, 2008 9:36 pm

I believe the LAA may have this in mind but I don't know if the idea has progressed as far as the CAA. After all, an ex C of A, IFR capable aircraft isn't any less capable of flying IFR the day after the new arrangement comes into force...

ffg

Post by ffg » Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 pm

...well of course it is, at the moment, but it doesn't have to be that way for ever...

Graham Newby

Post by Graham Newby » Fri May 02, 2008 2:58 pm

And if our current work with the CAA works they won't be.

Graham

PB

Post by PB » Fri May 02, 2008 3:46 pm

Graham

Thanks for the sensible answer. Is there anything I can do to help?

Barry Plumb

Post by Barry Plumb » Fri May 02, 2008 7:55 pm

Peter,

See PM.

Barry Plumb

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Sat May 03, 2008 12:38 am

I recognise the need to make inroads but please don't sacrifice the prize of getting any suitable permit aircraft IFR legal by getting agreement for only the ex CofA Permit aircraft.

Any CoA aircraft can I believe be used for IFR flight regardless of its handling characteristics if suitably equipped for the airspace it flies in so there is no logic in not doing the same for permit a/c

I accept we live in the real CAA world so perhaps a compromise would be to seek IFR acceptance for permit a/c subject to the condition that LAA Engineering endorse particular types (or even individual a/c) as suitable for IFR. Some a/c handling may be too twitchy for IFR.

I worry that getting a win for ex CofA Permit a/c will be at the expense of any further progress on the Permit a/c for a long time - or maybe ever!

ffg

Post by ffg » Sat May 03, 2008 10:00 am

Steve

I believe that's the 'glass half empty' view, the 'glass half full' view being - get the privilege for ex-C of A types then extend it to other suitable Permit types. I think it would have to be on the basis of individual aircraft approval by LAA inspectors, as every Permit individual is different.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Sat May 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Great news for the Jodellers. As for flight in IMC for the rest of us. I expect it to coincide with "Gloucestershire Old Spots" getting their permits.
The campaign were still being obstructive re relaxation of overflight rules last report I heard.