is it not ?
60%
Even I dont unerstand the question
40%

Total votes: 5

Mike Potts

Post by Mike Potts » Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 am

Hello Nigel and Simon
I read your comments with interest and would suggest that you could volunteer some of your time and/or money to improve the site. As anyone in the IT industry knows "it costs money" and if it is in short supply things do not get done.
As far as I am concerned the site is here to provide information and does it as well as most other sites that I look at. I am here because I am interested in flying and maybe more specifically permit flying, not because the site is powered by the latest wizz bang technology or because of its looks.

Mike

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Thu May 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Mike

Thanks too for your comments, I am pretty sure nearly everyone on here has an LAA administered machine, and is appreciative of the services it provides to members to further their flying interests.

Personally I've just rediscovered the joys of very open cockpit flying in a new SSDR!

Please bear in mind that Nigel and I were responding directly to a request by Brian for suggestions, and there is no criticism implied or intended. I infer (but would like to know for sure) that LAA is going through a web re-design. If so, and LAA agrees the that the web site is an important shop window to attract a wider audience, then it would be good to know that it is using best practice and is as good as it can be for the future.

Those are big 'Ifs', assuming they apply, then I would suggest that the only sensible way forward is to engage professional services and use current server technologies. This will take serious LAA investment.

Once delivered and launched, that's the time for volunteer contributions.

In my opinion, a CMS system is vital for those contributions to be effective moving forward.

Cheers

Simon C
~~~~~~

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Simon, no critisism taken on my part, any input members can give all the better. We are indeed seeking professional help and advice on systems as this is not a sticky plaster job on our existing website but a complete upgrade. I wish I could give you some firm dates on switch on but at the moment I can't. The marketing committee, of which I am part, certainly want the front end up and running sooner rather than later and we are looking at how we can make that happen.
I had already looked at the BMAA site and am impressed by it, I think it's fair to say we certainly want to be looking at that kind of step forward over what we are currently doing.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Thu May 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Brian

Great news.

Having just comissioned a CMS-based web site myself, I know what you are going through.

See, we can all play nicely together and the Forum does have its uses!

Simon C
~~~~~~

nigel henry

do I start with bikes then cars or aircraft or types flown o

Post by nigel henry » Thu May 26, 2011 11:18 pm

or we could be here all day !
ok my bike now is a 1340FLXT I think! HARLEY 1989 24600 MILES ! first bike was a Honda 49cc at 9 in Aden but ..... Honda CB1100 RD TO SILK Lambretta Ansolotti Tv225 to Honda CB77 to Aerial red hunter to sq to Cotton 4T to name a few of them,Even a Hovercraft with 3 velocette vicroy engines.
Aircraft owned Stryplyn skyranger, Airtourer to Long Ez still ! and Europa
Cars TVR's 2, 246 dino spyder Scimmitars Corvettes Lotus's and a Westfield in the Bedroom with consent still ! Aircraft 23 types + flown LHS and loved every day so Now i'm 57. This is a sample of some that comes to memory, it's fading but love every day! Cyclemaster BSA daisy the list goes on but I am sure it can be beaten! lol

It's my view that most, if not all the guys here are freaks! Not to be rude Junkies who need speed thrills ownership, scares and the memory when the last breath is drawn that they have had the most fun given the most fun and sacred moments! To as many friends family and idiots prepared to fly with them ........ so why O why is the support fed as BORING linage ! Get a life LAA you take the money you give the service LOOk above! at my CV mine is a drop in the Pond most of your member make me look a novice It's not money its not Fame Its not recognition it's give us a support site to commensurate with the guys / hero's who work play and fly sail bike race or just potter along all deserve a great website and id! Do you want them to Perform? they are a small breed who deserve support for the effort they put in every day these are .......... Your member! No joke these guys pay your wages and pay a fortune for fuel, insurance,parts, and the privilege of ownership toooooo go to .......

Sorry if you can pick holes in the spelling grammar or the general layout but I am a normal man who loves the above x

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Dear Nigel,

Your'e young, got lots of energy, plenty of experience & are ENTHUSIASTIC.

Living nr. Oxford too makes you prime fodder to get in there & assist the LAA.

You should really VOLUNTEER now, you have such a clear idea of what's missing from the LAA site.

[Personally I like it prosaic but then I'm an out of touch 'oldie' !]

mike hallam

nigel henry

reply ish

Post by nigel henry » Fri May 27, 2011 11:32 pm

It is with interest after a Scotch and Ice moment that I helped start this thread I giggled read and digested from Cyclemaster to Raligh whisp ! or was it ?
Mike I am only to pleased to help in a small way, this is one of them it's an observation from usage of the site and loved some of the positive adds on the thread. Perhaps a urgent meeting with the powers that control the budgets I am sure this site is hit global on a daily basis but ..... information crawls out look at the dates,Yawn ! but you are not alone the Europa sites are dire as well factory info site! And the flyers! It's like everybody died apart from one person who does everything, well perhaps thats it ? Go in the website for Longez ez squadron wow snappy alive and busy fresh and updated DAILY ! If you want people to look.... you need information new fresh and up to the min ! Help ! I am only to pleased x afors another site that thrives !

In England People suffer with English syndrome too reserved quick to give in, and little enthusiastic to drive past their personal area and don't share in-case they are criticized, but these guys are cutting edge aerospace ideas people and need help to help others.

We know the LAA has the clout but fails to use it in the full market. struggling along taxing its members with more costs instead of marketing its great products, am I talking rubbish? Dare I use a bad word ! as Douglas Barder [my Hero] said this squadron is non operational !

Well unless the builders, flyers , new pilots, get fresh information it will become a smaller and smaller POOL x I know the LAA staff are helpful enthusiastic and switched on, look at the RNLI site Its a charity and is marketed and is so professional it hurts! you are the RNLI of the Sky perhaps its time......... You set the standard now set the Future.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat May 28, 2011 6:58 am

as Douglas Barder [my Hero]
Too much ice with your Scotch again :D

James L

Post by James L » Sat May 28, 2011 10:56 pm

James Lipman

nigel henry

Good Scotch

Post by nigel henry » Sat May 28, 2011 11:41 pm

I agree but ..... 23 of us can't all be on the same bottle? I'm a White and Mackay blend best blend on the market Tesco £15 ltr ! Is petrol dearer ?

This is not about fighting anybody but improving the best site ........ In the World ! LAA is! We need to make it better for everybody ENSTONE NEEDS HELP ! Or it will close ! look Paul at ENSTONE FLYING CLUB ! THEY WANT TO BUILD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUNWAY ! Just an observation can we not make every airfield a Heritage Center or a Biosphere area ? Airfields are for planes not factory's or hangars that are full of not PLANES ?

build on Brown sites We need airfield and runways for rabbits pheasants and wildlife like Aeroplanes helicopters and other flying things!
How many times have I seen a Merlin on the dead side while I take offfff Kill off another landing site till I have nowhere to land! Harriers gone carriers gone Tornado's gone dam ! somebody needs a plane don't scrap the Tornado's till .... Dam we need airfields with runways for .... FLYING !!!! France has carriers Planes Jets and more little airfields then everybody KEPT WITH A PASSION ! and we cannot launch any aeroplanes from a carrier! Soon we cannot launch a light aircraft from ENSTONE !