Connecting to the LAA site

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Joe Iszard

Connecting to the LAA site

Post by Joe Iszard » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:38 pm

I have the use of 2 computers - work and home - on the work one, which is 'Millennium Edition' I have no problems connecting (bringing in) the LAA site. However, I can't connect to the LAA site at all on the 'XP' computer.

Before you ask! the LAA site is the only 'www' site I can't pick up on the XP system. Ideas anyone, please.

Joe

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:44 pm

I know it is not a lot of help, but to help eliminate the XP from the equation, that is the OS I use without any problems. I did have to switch off the cookie blocking for the web site though.

Joe Iszard

Post by Joe Iszard » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks for that 'tonyhs' - tried disabling the cookies - still can't get on.

joe

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:48 pm

testing, testing, testing
Strewth I'm up and running!
Richard

Gary M

Post by Gary M » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:36 pm

Pete

laa.uk.com

Post by Pete » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:17 am

I must say I prefer the look and feel of the new web site.

Orange on blue was always a challenge, simple blue on white is perfect.

I am sure the probs with moving content over will get fixed pretty quick.

Well done
Peter Diffey

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 am

With the old website, it felt like the yellow on black was more restful to the eyes. I need a pair of dark specs for the new layout.

merlin

Post by merlin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:17 pm

Had some problems but if this gets through then the prompt help from Penny at the office has worked. Thanks Penny. :lol:

Roger

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:41 pm

I found that I could only access the LAA website & view this BB by using the long .co.uk address and every time I tried the .uk.com one my PC froze. Even when trying to log on here via the long address it would flip back to the short one & freeze up. Penny assured me that I was the first to describe this glitch so I resorted to my service provider helpline who took me through the process of re-setting the options of my IE7 (a recent automatic update!) and all seems to be resolved now. Offered in case anyone else suffers the same problem.
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:35 pm

I am unable to create a shortcut to any page on the new website apart from the homepage.
For example I just tried to post a link to our lobbying page elseware. Can't do it!!
I suppose this is some sort of java nonsense. Will who designed the site to stop
real urls from displaying in the address bar please disable it again. K.I.S.S.

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Some browsers appear to be viewing the redirected / masked URLs as a phishing attempt and preventing them from working properly.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:18 pm

You just exceeded my brain limits Leia. I'm running firefox 2. Does this mean it's my browser and everyone running IE can see the real urls? If so how can I see them?

edited to say: nope IE7 is the same.

Steve

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:19 pm

Steve, nope sorry, my comment was addressed to Mike, as to why the security settings on the browser were making the site not work.

Because the site says it's at laa.uk.com, but stuff is actually loading from lightaircraftassociation.co.uk some over enthusiastic browser / security settings appear to be under the mistaken impression that someone is trying to maliciously fake something.

It's as if a website was saying it was natwest.com but really was loading mydodgysite.ru -- it just looks suspicious to the software.

Put in the actual address -- lightaircraftassociation.co.uk -- everything matches and looks authentic and legitimate.

That'll be why Mike had to reset his security setting, and why Shortfield can use Win ME without issue -- it's a lot less secure (or paranoid) than XP and doesn't care about the redirecting.

Is there a marketing guru around? Was there a reason for the chopping and changing? Typically it's an utter pain in the rear end to configure and to use! I've done it for customers when pressed and both them and I have always regretted it!

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:22 pm

Forgot to mention -- the not being able to bookmark individual pages is a well known problem with the frame-based design that has been chosen.

Try right clicking on the link to the page you want to bookmark and select Open in new window (or new tab).

The resulting apge should ahve the full URL displayed and be bookmarkable (if that's a word!)

For example the Lobbying page is:
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... nPage.html

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:54 pm

Superb. Thanks Leia.