Crossing Airways at Base Level - Change to AIP

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Brady

Crossing Airways at Base Level - Change to AIP

Post by John Brady » Sun May 04, 2008 12:31 pm

As you know, where the base level of an airway is defined as a FL, you can cross it at its base level at right angles without ATC clearance. The CAA is proposing to remove this arrangement on the basis that there is little to be gained from its retention.

I don't think I have ever used this. Can anyone think of a reason to argue against this change?

John

Mike Fawdrey

Crossing airways

Post by Mike Fawdrey » Wed May 07, 2008 12:28 am

I would suggest that oibjection should be made as this is yet another nail in the GA coffin . It enables the commecial side to fly anywhere they like with no consideration for anyone else. they would be more than happy to have NO GA. everything would be controlled airspace

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed May 07, 2008 5:35 am

If CAA changes have no bearing on our operations then there is nothing to be gained by objecting to them. Calling foul at every turn ultimately devalues your argument on all consultations, even the important ones. John quite correctly is seeking views on whether this apparently innocuous change has any real impact, and to be honest Mike, your response adds nothing to his knowledge of whether it does or not. I suspect that this may be an issue for some glider flyers, but in thse days when most of them have radios even that seems unlikely. Maybe some of our glider flying members might like to comment.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Wed May 07, 2008 7:39 am

Perhaps it could be used as a negotiation point. GA don't object to this. In return they remove R41 (FL35+) from the IOW <--> Channel Islands crossing.

gasax

Post by gasax » Wed May 07, 2008 8:10 am

I'll admit to using it a few times (we've got some high ground and low level airways up here.

I must admit I've never really understood it. If I cross 2 hundred feet below the airways (whilst on the appropriate pressure setting) its OK. If I cross exactly on the base of the airway it is also OK??? Always made me wonder why I could n't just ask to cross the dam thing.....

Would 'loosing' it make any difference - well not really its just one of those things.