Flying a permit aircraft in France

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Hendry-Smith

Flying a permit aircraft in France

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Just a quick question for those that know, what is the situation of flying a permit aircraft in France?? obviously you need the paperwork, valid license and insurance etc but is there any issues with the DGAC and any other paperwork needed??

Cheers

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Mike Potts

Post by Mike Potts » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Hello Paul
As far as I know, nothing out of the normal, however currently if you fly factory builts you will need to pay DGAC 50euro see this LAA link
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... ctory.html
When I have been in the past it has been staight forward and easy.

Mike

Gavin Bell

Post by Gavin Bell » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:15 pm

It tokk about a week for my permit to fly in france to come through, so make sure to apply in good time.

Gavin

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:02 pm

And it's only valid for 10 days.
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:32 am

Hi Paul, if you're flying a homebuilt though then it isn't a problem, no need to seek permission as a blanket permission is in place. Take you personal licence/medical, permit and insurance documents etc., the original ones not copies but it would be sensible to have copies left at home should originals ever get mislaid.
You need to lodge your GAR form for UK Immigration for when you come back into the UK, and you need to clear into and out of France via a Customs airfield, all the usual ones of which now require prior notification that you want Customs. Abbeville, Le Touquet, Calais and Dieppe are the obvious choices. Google SIA France and it will take you to the aerodrome plates which will give contact details for O/R customs, Abbeville info is wrong thoough, fax number you need is now +33 3 2224 4469
Have a good one.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Brian

Many thanks for your info greatly appreciated and very informative. We are off to Blois in September as we have had a significant volume of enquiries from French aviators for the Sherwood Ranger, it is a real shame that both shows are on at the same time.

Kind regards

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Yes Paul it is a real shame as the Blois microlight show is a cracker. Good news for 2012 though, they won't be clashing. We moved the 2012 LAA Sywell Rally to avoid the Olympic airspace problems in SE England and though that has subsequently proved unnecessary due to the restricted zone reduction for the Paralympics, we have decided to leave the event at the changed date, the exact details of whch will be announced shortly. If I don't see you before you go, have a great trip and a good show.

Niestadt

Refused!

Post by Niestadt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:58 am

I have just been refused a Laissez Paser for Gipsy Moth DH60M G-AAMY.
All the paperwork was done and the 50€ paid and the idea was to have the aircraft a couple of month near my house in France.
The answer from the CGAC was that only for the following reasons they could issue a LP: Overflight to another country, Flight into France for a specific technical reason or for participating in an airshow.
I thought that from May 2011 it would be the same for factory build aircraft as for the homebuilds?

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Sorry to hear that Niestadt, LAA too hoped this would have been resolved earlier this year. If you read the 08/9 NEWS item on the LAA website you will see that progress is at last being made with the French bureaucracy and we are hopefull that it will soon be as you say - the same as for homebuilts.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:21 pm

How are things progressing for early next year Brian?

Kevin Daly

Post by Kevin Daly » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:13 pm

It is dragging on, somebody somewhere needs to pull their fingers out! Surely there has been enough talking?

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm wondering if it will all make sense when we get our February LAA mag.

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Hmmm not much in the Feb mag.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Anybody would think the French don't want tourists!

There's the Duxford/St Omer fly-ins, St Omer and RSA to visit this year but I've no intention of jumping through French hoops and paying 50 euros for the privilege.

Tony Smith

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:36 am

Update please. Can this be put high on the agenda. Summer is on it's way................again

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Just seen this in another place:-

By the way, an " arrêté " (decree) published to-day in the " Journal officiel " for some permit aircraft flying in France :
No permission needed for a stay under 28 days, excepted former military aircraft, autogyros and temporary permits.

To read in French this decree : Journal officiel : http://www.journal-officiel.gouv.fr/ then click on >Rechercher un texte sur Légifrance
then click on Les autres textes législatifs et réglementaires then fill in the field NOR : DEVA1201924A then click on Rechercher then Version d'origine.

The document is here. I hope it means what I hope it means. My french isn't good enough to be sure.