democracy and member involvement at work - not!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Harry Hopkins

DRAFT CLUB REGULATIONS

Post by Harry Hopkins » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Nick et al,

I'll confess that I drafted the DRAFT Club Regulations and Code of Conduct (please note, these are `strawmen' for NC to put into the shape it wants).

Yes, the latter, as you so rightly say, sounds like those for a class of unruly children and yet all are based on long experience of NC meetings which are often disrupted by a (happily) FEW unruly representatives who attend.

It could be deleted in toto but I hope those unruly few will have learned from it how we should conduct our meetings.

Harry

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:22 am

It's helpful for a reminder of the normal procedures for a meeting, but the chairman is the person with the job of insisting on procedures being observed, and I'm pleased to say that it worked well with Graham Newby, as it has previously with other chairmen.

It goes without saying that anyone who stirs up hornet's nests shouldn't be surprised to hear an angry buzzing sound, and even maybe get stung!

I'm pleased there's an atmosphere of calm now that things are being explained and expectations are becoming more realistic. It's never pleasant to see things 'kicking off' in an organisation run by the members for the benefit of the members. Like 'civil' war, it tends to be anything but civil.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:38 am

To add to Dave's comments, the NC meeting on Saturday was well attended and very positive. I'd like to think we have turned a corner and have started the job of building NC into a very useful part of the governance structure of the Association.
The next meeting is being given over to the question of what NC delegates believe the group could and should be doing within the new company structure of the LAA. The traditional 'advise the Executive Committee' was yesterday's métier, the Association has moved on and tomorrow's NC has the opportunity to take on greater responsibilities and involvement.
I am confident the will is there to make the optimum advantage of this opportunity.