Freedom?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

CP

Freedom?

Post by CP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 am

Guys, Guys, Guys,...N, Girls........ The WHOLE Idea of a Forum is for the FREEDOM to relate Information as YOU see it!!!! and to RESPOND....... as YOU see it!!

The whole lack of anonymity thing KILLS the Real truth being OPENLY discussed and put out to the masses........... or 3 people that NOW bother to read our site because it has become SOOOOOO .....P C !!!!

You Install the rules and you get BORING..... congratulations.... You have succeeded!!

Paul Whittingham 07931 377990

Freedom of discussion without retaliation is....IMHO..... a BASIC human right.......But I bow to your superior intellect!........... For now!

Post split from another thread

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 am

The unfortunate reality of people who spout human rights is that they are usually only interested in their own rights, the people they harm or offend apparently don't have any.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 am

We did 4 pages on the forum here;

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... php?t=2834

Rod1

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:55 pm

CP, if you're not prepared to put your name to the 'truth' then that would leave me wondering why.

To my mind insisting that people identify themselves when they want to say something rather reduces the rabid, anonymous, outbursts as it makes the sender think first.

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Brian Hope wrote:The unfortunate reality of people who spout human rights is that they are usually only interested in their own rights, the people they harm or offend apparently don't have any.
What a sweeping generalisation Mr Hope.........

I have no problem putting my name above what I send out. In the case of the LAA I was TOLD I had to do it that way, still did it but would have preferred to have been given a CHOICE. Why not be a bit more adult and democratic and let people CHOOSE if they wish to use their own name or a "handle"?

Planemike (aka Michael John BLAKE)
Michael Blake

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Dear All

I too had to put my name to my postings, I would have preferred to just have just used my tag, but, we all know the score, and if you really don't want too (apart from you know who) don't join....... fairly simple.

Have conviction behind what you say, or don't bother saying it right or wrong.

As for BASIC human rights, what a cop out , this country seems to have an abundance of tree hugging window licking lefties that feel they can hide behind the term human rights, even murderers.
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 pm

I couldn't care less whether I use my real name or a soo-don-im.

I do however care a great deal about abuse or personal insults.

The rights and wrongs of Ron's actions aren't for me to judge, but would expect him to be treated fairly and would be up in arms against anyone who didn't. We all know Ron has been very forthright in his views and tends to err on the side of rants a little, but at least he shows a passion lacking in others. I aren't defending him or anyone else on either side of the dispute, but at least he has the courage of his convictons and does indeed use his real name.

Better that than JBL089 calling everyone on the LAA "A bunch of S*&t eating Pl*$%, with a t*"l the size of a V*^L"

I would hope a warning would be sufficient this time.

By the way I disagree with his views 90% if the time and bite my lip before replying.

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Cheer up CP.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 pm

'Freedom' applies equally to the reader of diatribes, in that he too should be free to know who has written that stuff.

Silly pseudonyms may simply be there to boost the ego of the writer, but can be misused to shelter 'trolls' doing their stupid worst.

The kindly soul who recently grauitously insulted our staff hasn't shown any signs of contrition - may be he tried but was blocked - ?

He has often written paranoid tosh and I can confirm he has 'form' for offensive LAA staff abuse.

Perhaps, to be generous (!) he's one of the afflicted and should be pitied.

mike hallam
Last edited by mikehallam on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 pm

By 'eck lads ,, have I just come on to some other chatroom or what ?

Are we 'Brothers of the Sky' or is there some sort of clandestine wing to the dear old LAA !

There was daft old me thinking that most of us are a bunch old 45 plusses that were just interested in home-made aeroplanes .

I know that old Taff has just had his collar felt, but I'm sure he'll be back. It's probably just the rarified air up in them mountains that makes him go ranting off like that, [and don't forget that some of it probably gets lost in the translation].
We are grown-ups aren't we, so do we really need to have daft nick-names ?
I am a bit of a thicko actually, and couldn't quite work out Rods link to the "Is the forum dead" thread . That post itself proved that it wasn't dead with the large response that it received .
Having just recently initiated a thread myself with a fairly contentious issue at its core ,and made a few bold[ish] statements , it is there for all to see that one can have a relatively civilised debate with in excess of 2,200 hits and four pages , without getting the lawyers in.

As for the human rights bit,, come along now CP, didn't our fathers and grandfathers fight in world wars to secure them ?

Were dealing with the LAA here, not the bloody KGB !

[Oh and by the way ,,I like to be called 'Baby-Doll' after 9pm and at weekends]

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 pm

I dont know why the team at the LAA get criticised, and at the end of the day I seem to have missed the abusive posting, but, this is not the first time this has happened to my limited knowledge. When will members appreciate the job that the team do, which is a damned good one to which we should all be more than happy with.

There also seems to be a faction that want to post less than favourable comments, as I said in an earlier post people should have the courage of their convictions and not try to hide behind pseudonyms.

Less slagging off, less back biting and more aviating
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Did I miss something ? Seem to have tripped over the aftermath of a controversial moment.

I would advise caution to those who decry pleadings about human rights.
Winston Churchill had a hand in the European convention on human rights. He wasn't daft.
Yes, there will be those who take a selective stance, but that is a price that has to be paid so that the decent folks have the benefit of that umbrella.

Weather looks good for some aviating this weekend :D

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:52 am

And it was Winston Churchill then Secretary of State for Air who introduced the law that prevented the owner of land also having ownership of the airspace above it - thereby allowing us all to go flying. Good old Winnie. Hurrah.