New vs. Old Bulletin Board

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Could I ask that the Adminstrator adds the "Log In Automatically" check box on the log-in screen?

It would save having to type in user names and passwords every time we wanted to have a quick look on the forum :wink:

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 pm

It looks to me like its a rock or hard place decision John has had to make, the new BB is running phpBB which is pretty well the best BB software around, so it was the correct technical decision.

Getting the data out of the old BB and into the new may be quite troublesome, so leaving it where it is is the easiest decision. The trouble with that is the monthly cost of the ISP rental...

Life is never easy.
Peter Diffey

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:21 pm

macconnacher wrote:I miss the ability to click on "todays posts" so that I can quickly see what has been sent in over the past 24 hours. A link to posts that have zero replies is not so useful as keeping up with rapid debates between Welshman and Brian Hope.
There is a "View Posts since last visit" now that the login in working.

Ernest Lear

Post by Ernest Lear » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:12 pm

"Brian is off air as his PC is dead."
:shock: Dos this mean, now his PC is dead, the next LA mag. will be publish with bank pages or will it be late as it will take him a bit of time to write his articles with out the use of an PC. :lol:

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:08 pm

The "View newest post" highlighted links don't seem to work for me.

On other forums using this software that normally jumps you down the thread to the latest post you haven't read.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:37 pm

Fear not Ernest, I am back! The PC is up and running again, albeit after a couple of hundred quid cash injection, and the next mag is under control. I had no problems registering and logging on, it worked first time. Belated New Year greetings to everybody, shame the wx was so poor on New Year's day, did anybody manage to get to Popham?

DaveWhite

Post by DaveWhite » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:59 pm

Could I second Jamie Duff's request for the Adminstrator to add the "Log In Automatically" check box on the log-in screen?

Also, the old PFA board is now closed with apprently no means of getting at the posts it holds. I had understood that it would be made read only so that the contributions were not lost for ever. Any chance of altering that as well?
--
Dave White

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 pm

I will be up at Turweston tomorrow and will ask about the auto log in facility and what is happening about the old BB archive. I did, as John Dean mentioned, say that the archive would be retained but that it might not be available straight away. There are time constraints, Penny was unwell last week, and what with the Christmas holidays as well, I am sure she has more than enough to catch up on without worrying about the BB archive. Please be patient, I will report back when I have more news.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:10 pm

I had a mail from Penny to say that the old BB would definitely not be junked, but they were still working out what to do with the content. I've offered to try and fillet it into some searchable form if all else fails.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Can I also second Jonkil's earlier request for Avatars to be enabled please.

jamie_duff

Post by jamie_duff » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:14 pm

jamie_duff wrote:Could I ask that the Adminstrator adds the "Log In Automatically" check box on the log-in screen?

It would save having to type in user names and passwords every time we wanted to have a quick look on the forum :wink:
Thanks for sorting this one Admin! :D :D

David White

Post by David White » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes, thank you.

I've even changed my login name to celebrate, and to be a bit more friendly; the 'djmwhite' identity can be deleted if you wish, Admin.
--
Dave White

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:13 pm

I see Avatars are also now enabled. Thanks Brian and Penny.

Steve :D