Mogas, tell me where?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Joe Iszard

Mogas, tell me where?

Post by Joe Iszard » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Garages in my area are refusing to sell petrol in containers, so no flying for me, for now! seems the riot problems are now reaching out to the 'sticks' - and my grass needs cutting too. Any one else effected? :roll:
Joe Iszard

James L

Post by James L » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Joe,

Just an idea... go when the petrol station is busy, park as far away from the cashier as possible, open the filler on your car, then when they start the pump, open your boot and fill your cans. Or get mas much in there as you can before they stop the pump.

One of the stations near me has always refused to let me fill two cans, so I do a similar trick. So far I have not burned down any shops.

Good luck.

James
James Lipman

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey Joe,
The HSE rulings that have been in place since 1982 are pretty much the same as ever. The recent rioting hasn't changed 'the rules' one jot.
Unfortunately , certain forecourt staff take a certain delight in trying to deny people fuel sales in cans.
It's perfectly legal to buy Mogas in 20 litre cans . Print the relevant bits off the HSEs website and wave them in the jobsworths faces . And whatever y'do mate ,,KEEP FLYING .

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Same here Joe! I park other side of the pump island from the kiosk, get the jerry cans out and place them near the filler (remember to close the boot) and fill 'em! I've had arguments in the past about filling cans bigger than 5 ltrs anyway. :evil:

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:03 pm

James and Nigel are bang on.

Go for the stealth approach. I have done this now for 11 years and have never been spotted.

Pull up at the back of the forecourt, pop the filler cap hatch and then make sure that the cans are out of sight of the bloke behind the till. Stand as upright as possible and do the usual whistling and looking at the numbers.

Sorted. Now get back in the air Mr Iszard :D

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:11 pm

several garages near to us (supermarkets!) have a pay-at-pump facility which requires no attendant input, easier to use without attracting attention. At my local ASDA the pay-at-pump is open outside of normal forecourt hours so you can fill up when nobody is about. That might be a solution for you.

I might investigate how fuel might be pumped out of my car fuel tank directly into my aircraft to save using cans at all. Anyone done this?

Rans6...
Andrew Cattell

Rans S6 Microlight.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Andrew you may have to make a mod to get round anti-syphon fillers, unless your car is old.
My local ASDA is not only 24hr pay at pump, but is also 100ish yards from the shop. I have never seen any staff there, though I suspect there will be CCTV.
Pitty I need AVGAS

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 am

My local garage had signs posted on the pumps saying "no fuel in cans until further notice". I spoke to the cashier and they said it was at their discretion. I didn't look like a hoodie out to find the latest LCD telly for nothing, so filled up.

Tony N

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:32 am

I was thinking further than a syphon/pump from the filler cap. I was thinking use the car fuel pump to draw the fuel from the tank, through the filter and then out through a self sealing connection and up a hose to my aircraft tank. A connection of the type used by outboard motor boats for their removable fuel tanks fixed at a convenient point under the bonnet would be good.

I don't suppose the authorities would like it but needs must!

Rans6
Andrew Cattell

Rans S6 Microlight.

Graham Clark

Fuel

Post by Graham Clark » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:51 am

No problem here just north of Bristol. Glad to see a lot of use are flying safely with Mogas.

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:33 pm

In the Devon, Texaco is the only supplier of mogas without ethanol. What's the latest situation in other areas?
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Gary Omer

Post by Gary Omer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:47 pm

put the jerry cans on the back seat, open the door leave it open at the furthest pump and no probs, do this all the time, if the boot goes up then they suspect something

IanTadd

Post by IanTadd » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Its unnecessary to employe any subterfuge most of us tend fill up at the same station, I buy fuel in more than a 'can in the boot run a lawn mower quantity' at three petrol stations near me and I ran into the problem described. It was simple to resolve I wrote to the three local stations notifying the station of my use and that the use is legal including an assurance I would always use legal fuel containers in good condition. I got a very quick reply from each confirming it was OK.....any problem I wave a copy at the assistant, a letter from their employer is far more effective than a copy of the law. Its the method used by most small gardening contractors, ground works businesses and builders (to fuel the various power tools/diggers they use) to overcome the problems some of you have reported and I experienced myself.

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Didn't bootleggers in Tennesee use tanks filling the "trunk" with moonshine from a second filler cap? All you need then is a hose & discharge the spare tyre into it. Or am I getting paranoid :twisted:

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:45 pm

rans6andrew wrote:I was thinking further than a syphon/pump from the filler cap. I was thinking use the car fuel pump to draw the fuel from the tank, through the filter and then out through a self sealing connection and up a hose to my aircraft tank. A connection of the type used by outboard motor boats for their removable fuel tanks fixed at a convenient point under the bonnet would be good.

I don't suppose the authorities would like it but needs must!

Rans6
I quite like this idea. I was thinking that the outlet would be better located next to the petrol filler cap.

Phil
Phil Hall