"LOOP" mag and Mode S

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cardiffrob

"LOOP" mag and Mode S

Post by cardiffrob » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:30 am

They write that Mode S will become mandatory next April. Have the plans changed without me noticing or is LOOP missing out some clauses?

I googled and found a CAA site with obviosly out-of-date info on it. Any links to current/accurate info?

Thanks.
Rob Thomas

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:07 pm

definitly not mandatory next year,
Loop are notoriously inacurate, but maybe this was in an advert, some adverts have been saying its mandatory for ages. May well be mandatory for class A airspace., but certainly not class G.

Rich Valler

Post by Rich Valler » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:19 am

Rob, I don't know if this is the out-of-date info you found, but if I read it correctly this CAA doc states the requirement that "Mode S transponders replace the use of Mode A/C in all circumstances where transponders are currently mandatory" with a transition period ending March 2012. So that would be Class A airspace at least, and also perhaps TMZs (... I'm not clear on that, although the T and M may well be a clue ...); but definitely not mandated for VFR in Class G nor most (all?) Class D

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... ageid=9311

Loop are not alone in mis-representing this requirement, and it's not in an advert, it's an "inside tip" :roll: . A well known avionics supplier has been using for some time the tag-line "Mode S. Are you ready? Required from 2012". This is currrently stated in an advert on their website home page; it's not until you delve deeper on their website that they qualify that it is applicable to "the majority of controlled airspace" ... which of course is Class A.

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:42 am

Hi Rich, nice to see you recently mate . Like Rob , I was temporarily miffed at that bit about Mode S , then I recalled that it wasn't the first time that Loop had been selective in its journalism on this .
[ Advertiser driven ?,,,,naah ]
The transit time between hitting my doormat and hitting the recycle bin is fairly short these days as far as Loop is concerned.
I'm not that into biz-jets, 'helos' [yuck], plastic-fantastics that cost more than your house or all the other aero-bling on offer.
The only real reason that I open it at all is to read fellow grumpy old git , Bob Davy.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Don't throw them away. Please take them to doctors or dentist.

I cannot understand why waiting rooms are always empty of man/boy comics

Help relieve the mail nations boredom

Pete
Peter Diffey