Rally Joining

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

johnmichie

Rally Joining

Post by johnmichie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm

in case you are having trouble finding the Rally joining instructions, they are here

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/docume ... 11info.pdf

John

MichaelJP205

Re: Rally Joining

Post by MichaelJP205 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:22 pm

johnmichie wrote:in case you are having trouble finding the Rally joining instructions, they are here

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/docume ... 11info.pdf

John
Thinking of flying into the Rally but have never flown into such a busy fly-in before as Sywell. In the instructions it says leave the hold at Pitsford when safe to do so. How does one know if it is safe to do so, given that there are no radio calls until final? Is it fairly easy to see others around Pitsford and is it fairly gentlemanly behaviour in terms of no queue-jumping?

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes
No
John Cook

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi Michael, if you are new to busy airspace then why not arrange your arrival outside of the busy periods. Arriving fairly early, say before ten, or a bit later, say after two will help. To be honest though, many people do make their slot times quite accurately so it's more of a steady stream than in the old days, I was once fifteenth on final for Cranfield! If you are taking a passenger make sure he is looking out and calling sightings but most of all just relax and keep a good lookout. Circuit manners are generally good but there will be the odd ah that jumps the queue. To be honest, I've never found it as scary as you might think it could be.

MichaelJP205

Post by MichaelJP205 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 am

It sounds OK, I've flown into Duxford and other airshows which are always fairly busy so I'm not too concerned, just don't want to do the wrong thing and queue jump by mistake!

- Michael

Michael Wong-Powell
Sheffield, UK

The Westmorland Flyer

Post by The Westmorland Flyer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:57 pm

I too was perplexed about how one is supposed to know that it's a good time to start your approach. I suppose the solution is to arrive at the holding point a little early and listen for a while. I would have thought "joining the stack" and "leaving the stack" calls would help others with their situational awareness.

For those of us arriving from afar on Saturday there are precious few slots that don't have at least two in each minute. Eventually settled on 12:25 but even that's getting busy now.

Should be fun. Looking forward to my first LAA fly in.
John Linford
Sportcruiser G-JONL

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:13 pm

It is really much easier than it looks. I have been to the last two and not being particularly experienced was also quite concerned.

I found it daunting but, If you look after yourself and let everyone else do the same, it seems to work.

Don't be rushed into doing something you're not happy with ie. If you're on final and approach speed is 40kts and you hear a lancair call final behind you, it's up to him/her to adjust not you. As soon as you're slow enough to turn off the grass.......get off so that the one behind doesn't have to go around.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

See you there.

Alastair Jack

Post by Alastair Jack » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 am

I would have thought "joining the stack" and "leaving the stack" calls would help others with their situational awareness.
From my experience at last years Rally, any calls other than the Finals call, will not add to the situational awareness and only earned a ticking off for those that tried it. It was thought likely that you will step on the guy making that all important finals call.
Again from last year, I found that once round the stack will give you enough time to eyeball everybody and only if obviously not safe then make a second one. The plan as laid out in the AIC actually worked quite well.
I'm still not sure about the need for a landing light on the hard runway. In practice I noted that people were being practical and if their aircraft wasn't fitted with one, they were using the hard runway anyway. Better than bunching for the grass.
When using the grass, and if safe to do so, then err towards the exit side during the ground roll as you may find the aircraft that has been catching you up on the approach, is landing alongside you.
Best wishes.

G-AWMN

Post by G-AWMN » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:33 am

I thought the landing light was an interesting requirement as I, like I suspect many attending the event do not have one.

Stuart

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:05 am

Would have been nice to have had a lat/long for the reservoir.......... :cry:

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 am

I am unclear about whether one uses a landing light for hard arrivals if one has a light fitted or whether one cannot land on the hard unless a landing lighty is fitted and illuminated?
Richard

Alastair Jack

Post by Alastair Jack » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 pm

I am unclear about whether one uses a landing light for hard arrivals if one has a light fitted or whether one cannot land on the hard unless a landing lighty is fitted and illuminated?
It wasn't made clear last year and I am surprised that the same phraseology has been used again this year.
Regards

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Ta !

Now, does anyone know how to programme a Garmin 430....... :oops:

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Appendices C, D etc. of the joining instructions do say "landing light on for the hard if possible", or words to that effect.

Paul Crabb

Post by Paul Crabb » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 pm

mike newall wrote:Ta !

Now, does anyone know how to programme a Garmin 430....... :oops:
I don't but these boys do !!

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/426901-garmin-430-a.html