Olympic AFPEx test day

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Olympic AFPEx test day

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:00 pm

September 24th has been set as test day for the AFPEx flight planning system for next year's Olympics. It will be necessary to file a flightplan to fly into, out of or across the huge restricted zone in the SE of England (plus the Weymouth area where the marine sports take place), and the success or failure of this will depend on the AFPEx system being able to cope. So, on September 24th please file a flightplan on AFPEx so that as many as possible are lodged to give the system the best possible test, only if a large number of people take part will it highlight any problems so that changes can be made to ensure the system works next year when it has to. THIS IS A TEST, SO PLEASE FILE REGARDLESS OF WEATHER, IT IS NOT EXPECTED THAT YOU WILL ACTUALLY FLY.

rans6andrew

Post by rans6andrew » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:26 pm

the problem is not that their systems may not cope, more that my aircraft systems do not include a transponder, for reasons of cost, weight, possibly power availability and training in the use thereof.

What am I supposed to do for the duration?

Rans6Andrew.
Andrew Cattell

Rans S6 Microlight.

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 am

Being for the detriment of Mister Kite:
stay on the ground. You may adversely affect the profitability of the great spectacle of amateur sportsmen and corporate sponsors of this nine billion pound exercise in national vanity. (Bread and circuses, anybody?)

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:00 pm

The September 24th Olympic Flightplanning test day has been cancelled and a new date set for Saturday November 12th.
Further details will be made available by CAA/NATS shortly.
See also LAA website NEWS item about free availability of a flightplan filing facility on SkyDemon Light from June 1st next year throughout the Olympic period AND ON THE NOVEMBER 12TH TEST DAY.

Chris Thompson

A REAL Test?

Post by Chris Thompson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Are they actually going to get AFPeX to somehow give "approval" messages on this "Test" day? I cannot wait to put in a couple of flight plans to see a) are they actually read and b) will they be "approved" just as if I were to put them in during the Olympic period! I intend to borrow a PA28R with mode "S" and put in a flight plan to fly everywhere in and out of the Olympic zone with a totally correct flight plan. Any money you like, it will not be allowed!