New member & questions about Pulsars

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Andy Kennedy

New member & questions about Pulsars

Post by Andy Kennedy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Afternoon,

New member, (and newly minted pilot NPPL (M)) here. I've only recently qualified and have loads of questions so I'll try and spread them across a few posts (and do some more searches).

You might be wondering why I've joined the LAA and not the BMAA, well it was the free joining gift that did it. (only joking!!) :D
It was mainly because I've trained on 3 axis micros, with a view to go onto get my NPPL SSEA/SEP.

While I was training to get my licence, I didn't really know what I was going to do post test, although I will say that the change in the rules allowing factory built micros to be rented out to club members is what sealed the deal on learning to fly. If I hadn't been able to rent once qualified I would probably wouldn't have started, so well done to the BMAA. I almost feel guilty about not joining :oops:

I've also never flown behind a lycontinental and maybe never will, and I think a lot of the next generation pilots may be the same. I nearly fell over when I discovered avgas is £2/litre :shock:

Anyway, having spent far too long on the internet scouring about for info on aircraft I came across the Pulsar. It would be an understatement to say that this is my ideal aircraft. I've read this thread:
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... ght=pulsar

And I wanted to ask some more questions.

What is the deal with 300hour engine life on the 582? (can't stretch to a XP sadly)

Can you really get 40mpg at 100knts?

My maths makes this 13 litres/hour at 115 statue mph.
Is this solo in your underpants with 6 litres of fuel on board or with some actual payload? I thought 2 strokes were terrible for fuel burn, but at that rate I'd be more than happy.
Is using them two up realistic? I'd really want a two seat tourer with wing fold and half decent pace.

For the record, I'm all of 66kg (145lbs) but its pax + fuel would be the concern.

Anyway, thats enough just now.

Andy K

Oh, does anyone want to go halfers on a Pulsar (582) in Glasgow + surrounding area. I fly out of Strathaven.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Welcome to the LAA. It is certainly possible to get 40mpg at 100knts and there are a number of LAA machines which could manage that and carry two people with bags. I am no expert on the pulsar so will leave that to others.

Rod1

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:28 pm

If you haven't already done so, you really do need to try one for size. I'm only 5'9" tall but I couldn't close the close the canopy with my headset on when I went to view one I was interested in buying.

Having said that, I wouldn't totally forget about the XP version. The Rotax 912 will still give you great fuel economy and aircraft aren't exactly selling for premium prices at the moment so you may be able to pick up a bargain with a bit of haggling!

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:29 pm

I'd really like to see around one and maybe sit in it. However as I'm in Scotland I'm not sure if there are any around here.

If anyone has a Pulsar nearish the central belt and wouldn't mind me having a look/asking questions I'd be more than happy to travel for a visit.

Cheers

Andy K

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I can show you a part complete Pulsar near Derby if it helps. PM me

Colin
Colin Cheese

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:16 am

There is one near you - registered to someone in Blairgowrie. Take a look on G-INFO.

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Bill McCarthy wrote:There is one near you - registered to someone in Blairgowrie. Take a look on G-INFO.
I've googles the reg and looked up G-INFO, but I'm wary of using G-INFO as I don't believe the information should even be available to the public. What is the ettiquet for approaching someone via G-INFO anyway?

I'd like to have a look at your project Colin, but Derby is a bit far from me.
Thanks for the offer though.

If the budget could stretch I would prefer a 912 aircraft, but due to the wing tanks I thought the wings didn't detach as easily.

Andy

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:43 pm

The information is in the public domain and we live with it. It does have its advantages. A look through the phone directory will give you the chap's number. Nobody minds talking about their aircraft to like minded folk so mention that you are in the LAA and are considering a Pulsar (I'm 5'7" and can't afford one else I'd be considering one as well!). I very much doubt if you'll be sent away with a flea in your ear. If you are reticent about cold calling him, write a brief letter with your telephone contact details. GINFO helps enormously when you need to know something about an aircraft type because you can find the other owners who will invariably welcome your enthusiasm.

Peter G. Mair

Post by Peter G. Mair » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi Andy

There is a Pulsar based at Perth, although I understand it may be elsewhere for some months.

I am 5' 10' and fitted into one I considered buying, (however opted for a Thorp T18 instead). I was a little uncomfotable with the 582 two stroke engine otherwise a fabulous machine and so much fun. Plenty room and quite powerful.

Good luck in your search

John Price

Post by John Price » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:15 am

Whats happened to Captain Pulsar ? He seemed to be the resident Pulsar expert on this forum.

John.

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi I have a Tri Kis which is virtually a pulsar in fact is now called Pulsar. Great for tall pilots and if you are interested then let me know and you can have a look! I am based at Cumbernauld EGPG
John Angiolini

derekringer

Post by derekringer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi, I have the Perth based Pulsar, and as Peter Mair surmised its not there at this time: rather its enjoying the sunshine in northern Spain and wont be back until the weather improves! However I,m happy to help with any questions you have.

Derek

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:28 pm

There is nowt wrong with the 582 as long as you fly regularly and maintain it as required. I flew behind one for 12 months and it never skipped a beat.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 am

There's a shiny one for sale in France on the RSA website for 14000 euros:
http://www.rsafrance.com/index.php?opti ... mid=100116, and go to page 2