To build or not to build

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:44 pm

If you like the Jodel and want to keep flying something similar doing the same things, then you cant beat a Jodel. Building anything from plans will take you quite a long time and you really need to want to build, not just want the aircraft at the end of the project. Of course you could pick up a part built project and have a lot of the work done, but you might also find you have to do remedial action too! Pietenpols arent quick builds either and will take your time, a fun aeroplane but perhaps without the same touring capability as the Jodel, although a few people do travel long distances in them.
I think your best bet is to refurbish your Jodel where you can, maybe take it off line for the winter to do some big jobs, fly next summer, then take it off line again next winter, or something like that, depending on what needs doing. But you need to plan ahead. Maybe get a share in something in the meantime so to keep flying, or maybe a share and take your Jodel outof the air until its finished.
Good Luck!

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies peeps, gives me a lot to think about. Well actually confirmed what I already knew I should do and that's refurb IZ gradually. Unless of course the lottery comes good! Then I'll pay someone to do it!

If she does go off line for a long period I'll be seeking out the D9 at Hinton - thanks for the offer Nick.

Unfortunately Jonathan the current account manager is married to me!

Once again thanks for the advice/opinion.

Tony
G-ATIZ

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Slight thread drift, but there's reason in it.

I bought a Jodel as Temporary Champ while the Champ was being recovered/repaired - oh, rebuilt then.

Temporary Champ did so well I then wanted to keep both. *

There's a moral in there somewhere for you. Pour TLC into your Jodel and because flying is compulsory, buy (a part of) something cheap meanwhile, but not necessarily something as good as your Jodel...
:D

* Didn't.
Nic Orchard

paul330

Post by paul330 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Sounds like a near impossible problem - time, money, wife issues........

RV12 would be quick to build but £50k. However, it's an aeroplane that a wife MIGHT be interested in. Old, wooden, lots of tinkering..... - can you see why she might not be enamoured with the Jodel?

Other than that, sounds like a rebuild would be a good option but I have no idea of the cost/time/difficulty involved. Then you have to factor in the cost of hiring in the meantime if you want to keep flying.
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Ah, but hangar rash dents do not look good on an aluminium machine either !

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Here's another suggestion.

From the piccie and Brian's post you seem to have the basis of a nice aircraft there - new main wing, rebuilt engine etc.

You've also got all the other bits about the plane sorted - inspector, insurance, hangarage (don't underestimate the value of that!).

You'd like to be able to pay for somebody else to do the refurbishment.

You seem to be happy with the prospect of joining a group.

Form a group! Sell one or two shares in the beastie.

This will give you some money to spend on the old girl to get her up to scratch and will provide other pockets to share the expense with.
You'd need to be up-front with potential group members about the planned improvement schedule, its timescale and projected costs but explain that that is reflected in the reasonable share price.

With all the time and money you've saved you can buy a set of Jodel plans and take some time to contemplate whether you really do want to build your own.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.