Flying outside UK without Class 2 medical

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Robert Eagle

Post by Robert Eagle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:25 pm

In August the CAA relaxed the medical rules, allowing us to fly in VMC with a "medical declaration" from a GP rather than a full Class 2 medical certificate. (CAA document no. ORS4 -865 spells out the terms and conditions.)

One of the limitations is that the pilot cannot fly outside the UK "except with the permission of the competent authority for the airspace in which he flies".

Can anyone tell me whether, for instance, the French, Belgians and Dutch authorities grant this permission and, if so, how you apply for it?

Obviously it would be nice to be spared the cost of a full medical. But are there any other snags and pitfalls re flying with a "declaration"?

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Surely there are some experts here with the answer to this?
I believe you can fly in France on an NPPL (microlight) with the GP declaration, but not sure about other licences and other countries.

Robert Eagle

Post by Robert Eagle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:55 pm

I posted the same question on the Flyer forums and received this useful reply from Irv Lee:

It took a lot of effort to get a working scheme with the French for the NPPL with SSEA rating to be allowed to visit, and that involved having an ICAO medical. I know this isn't YOUR case, but you might be able to draw conclusions from it http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence ... France.php

Obviously the LAPL is coming too, later rather than sooner.
Remember you're supposed to get an SSEA rating now (one way or another) before your SEP rating expires, or get a JAA medical if you want to keep the SEP going - or you could get pregnant, which is another loophole

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Robert, I think the reason there has been little response is because the whole licensing issue is so up in the air at the moment that even if you have a first at Oxbridge you are unlikely to fathom it. I have heard that things have just about been finalised at last, and Light Aviation intends publishing chapter and verse on Pilot licences in the February issue. We have been reluctant to publish anything to date because of the uncertainty.
And I am hopeful that LAPL will in fact be sooner rather than later, the Medical issues have been sorted and it looks a very good deal for us. LAA and Europe Air Sports worked hard to get LAPL based on the UK NPPL and has succeeded, with a great deal of help from the CAA Medical people.

andre' ciantar

Post by andre' ciantar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:11 pm

This link to BMAA web site gives some information that might be of use http://www.bmaa.org/catalogue_item.php? ... odID=40842 . I am glad I held on to my Microlight PPL, much simpler & cheaper to maintain,