LAA types with folding wings and trailerable

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:48 pm

How about from this:

to this in less than 10 minutes single handed:

All wood folding wing construction with 0-200 engine and an LAA approved design.

Only one built in the UK as yet G-BRIO.
Roger Callow

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:47 pm

That looks not dissimilar to the Brandli Cherry.

Which has retracts!!

I suspect that the both of those aircraft have exceptionally long build times, which might explain why there aren't many of them.

For the Cherry you need to work in metal & wood & composites & spend a lot of time sanding it. The worst of all worlds.....

Andy

Peter G. Mair

Post by Peter G. Mair » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:06 pm

How about the Thorp T18, I have folded the wings but I haven been unable to get the trailer detail to date.
Peter

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:33 pm

I wonder what happened to G-BRIO Turner T40, seems the permit expired in 2006, now owned by someone in the Brighton area. wonder if it was any good.
There is a new Cherry flying in the midlands, another in Kent, quite a few in Switzerland I once saw 20 at a fly-in there. But as you say a long time to build.
The Escapade does seem to be a good bet, that would probably fit in your garage. Terry Francis tows his demonstrators around all the time, so they have probably sorted out any issues. I knew a guy with an Avid Flyer who used to tow it to fly, the main problem there seemed to be he had to drain the fuel tanks every time he folded the wings, I know this isnt a problem with the escapade. Several people do regularly trailer Europas too. I wonder how many of the others are really that suitable for numerous trailer journies, especially the Glastar which is quite heavy.
Looking at the RV12 the detachable wings seem to be quite clever, glider technology with everything automatically going together.
good luck!

Jim Hargrave

Post by Jim Hargrave » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Pazmany PL4 has folding wings no-one has mentioned yet

Jim Hargrave

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Nigel, re G-BRIO, I spoke with the current owner a couple of days ago and he hopes to have the aircraft flying again in the not to distant future. He did fly it up to it's permit expiry but felt it needed some "sorting out" due to some W&B problems with it.

I also recently spoke with Gene Turner the designer of the T40 series of aircraft, who I've known for a few decades and even though he is 86 he has taken on the rebuild of a T40A that recently came his way and I have to believe him when he says he'll get it rebuilt and hopefully fly it himself within 12 to 18 months.

Hope I last that long and continue to show an interest in flying!
Roger Callow

gasax

Post by gasax » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:51 pm

I meet the builder of G-BRIO quite a while ago. The aircraft has an interesting history. Yes the build time is pretty long, I cannot remember exactly but certainly 5 years plus.

The original aerofoil section of the wing had to be modified to bring the stall speed down to something reasonable and also stop a vicious wing drop. David did all that and then flew it for a few years. From memory it performed quite well but I don't remember him ever folding the wings.

W & B I cannot remember...
Pete Morris

steveluck

Folding trailerable aircraft

Post by steveluck » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Dont forget Mike Whittakers MW7. Easily fits in a single garage, folds quickly
single handed. Takes off from your back garden. cheap to build and fly and being single seat you dont have to take passengers.