LAA types with folding wings and trailerable

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

flyingphil2

LAA types with folding wings and trailerable

Post by flyingphil2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:09 am

Hi,

I'm trying to compile a list of Group A LAA types (approved or yet to be) that can be trailered and have folding wings. The folding wings is the key element beyond just having removeable wings.

So far, I can think of the following:

Eurofox

Groppo Trial

Anyone know of any others?

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:13 am

I think with the close and sometimes cross over between BMAA and LAA light a/c one shouldn't miss 'their' types.

e.g. Escapade, easy wing fold and I think now an LAA version. Has Jab. as well as R912 and the UL engines now.

Problem with many of the Avid, Kitfox etc. derivatives is they are approx. 8 ft wide folded. Bit big to trailer don't you think ?
Trailering is never a nice option for a/f damage, seen & unseen.

The Rans S6 has a narrow wing fold, less than ~ 6ft wide, very neat, but as above needs careful supporting. Again available with engines from the lusty Rotax 503 through to the usual 4-strokes. Also plenty come up for sale so if you are searching, a good marque for parts, know-how & sensible performance.

mike hallam.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:17 pm

F.R.E.D.
Colin Cheese

merlin

Post by merlin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:25 pm

I know I am biased but the Escapade is the most practical 2 seater for folding and trailer transport, it is also British design and well supported.
roger breckell

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:36 pm

The ability to fold wings (by one person, quickly and easily) to form a "slim" profile in order to prevent protruding components getting ripped off by road signs or passing lorries ought to be a primary design consideration in this day and age. For the sole owner I see hangarage as the major ingredient in "cost of ownership" and could entice many back into the Association. Of course the added advantage is doing maintenance and upkeep at home.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Although no longer manufactured, there is a wing-fold kit available for Streak and Shadow variants. I reckon Danny Crosbie would still make one if required.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Dear All

I hate to blow my own trumpet but the Sherwood Ranger is both wing fold, (2 minutes a side) and trailerable. We have new models under development, an ST (microlight) with ballistic recovery system and an XP Aero ( Cat A) with single seat aerobatic capability.

Cheers

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

linspuk

Post by linspuk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:09 pm

The Zenith CH750 has a wing-fold option, although the aircraft is not yet approved so the wing-fold option also isn't.
Lindsay Pennell

cirrusvfr

Post by cirrusvfr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Another type which is not yet approved by the LAA.......the Onex
Phil Laycock

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Off the top of my head: Glastar and Avid Flyer.

If you add in types that can be easily de-rigged for trailering, then there's the Europa and RV-12. Include some recently on permit Annex 2 aircraft, then some of the earlier Moths could be considered.

Not permit, but there's always the Molt Taylor Aerocar. One for sale at $1.25M on Barnstormers presently :wink:

I'm sure there are others I've missed
Mark Albery

flyingphil2

Post by flyingphil2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks for the replies. There's a few types in there which I wasn't aware of.

The question was asked to see what aircraft could easily (1 man) fold up and sit on a trailer that could then be passed through a standard garage door (normally 7' x 7') and stored. It seems that quite a few of the wing fold aircraft end up with the wings too high or wide to pass through the door (a double garage door would be ok for some).

I didn't know that the RV12 derigged easily so thanks for that.

I like the Onex - proper carrier aircraft wings!

My conclusion is though that for a 2 seat Group A aircraft, it still looks like taking the wings off and putting them on a trailer is the best plan which then puts you in the Europa, MCR01, RV12 bracket.

Thanks,

Phil

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:08 am

flyingphil2 wrote:Thanks for the replies. There's a few types in there which I wasn't aware of.

The question was asked to see what aircraft could easily (1 man) fold up and sit on a trailer that could then be passed through a standard garage door (normally 7' x 7') and stored. It seems that quite a few of the wing fold aircraft end up with the wings too high or wide to pass through the door (a double garage door would be ok for some).

I didn't know that the RV12 derigged easily so thanks for that.

I like the Onex - proper carrier aircraft wings!

My conclusion is though that for a 2 seat Group A aircraft, it still looks like taking the wings off and putting them on a trailer is the best plan which then puts you in the Europa, MCR01, RV12 bracket.

Thanks,

Phil
I'd also add, check the length of your garage.

I'd give my left arm for an Aero Designs Pulsar and the wings do come off, but then I realised that it (and pretty much every other permit acft) are too long to fit. :cry:

The Pulsar is only 0.5m too long, but still.

That said, if I could afford one, I'd be considering knocking a hole in the end wall of the garage :lol:

flyingphil2

Post by flyingphil2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:16 am

Yes, length of garage is a very good point.

My personal circumstances are that I have a double garage but with 2 single 7' x 7' doors. The plan would be to push a trailer straight in and then rotate it diagonally a little to make it fit.

I guess if the 2 single doors become an issue then I could replace with one double garage door although that involves structural issues (knocking central pillar down, replacing with overhead steel etc). What a price to pay for storing your plane at home (although still cheaper than hangar rent and probably adds a little value to my house).

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:38 am

flyingphil2 wrote:although still cheaper than hangar rent and probably adds a little value to my house.
Yup, I wouldn't buy a house without a garage now. You get some strange looks from estate agents, but its a must.

Andy

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:34 pm

This may be of interest.

I also know a classic Europa owner who regularly tows and rigs his aircraft single-handed, though 20-30 minutes trailer to taxy is probably closer to the mark.

Also a very important addition to the walk round that the "Wings stay on/Wings fall off" lever is in the correct position. I could recount a minor accident where the pilot was distracted when he noticed the pitot wasn't connected on take-off.
Mark Albery