Enstone Under Threat - Again

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Melville

Enstone Under Threat - Again

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi Guys and Gals

The owner of Enstone Airfield is having another stab at a planning application. This time it is for a solar farm, along the length of the runway. I thought the attraction of these had waned since the change in government policy regarding selling back electricity? I note that he is playing down any flying activity.

More info at this LINK
Can we count on a few minute of your time to support a rejection?

I would suggest you use your own words, rather than cut and paste the suggested text
Thanks

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:41 pm

I've written an email objecting to the siting of the panels, on the groubds that it would inevitably close down the site to gliding and light aircraft, with the loss of the amenity value and employment.

The argument given for siting them on the runway is so as not to disturb the habitat of the grassland, but I've maintained that siting them on the grassland itself does not preclude the use of the grass for grazing sheep, for example, and would enhance the habitat for small mammals by providing them with shelter. It would thus increase the food available for owls and hawks, so conserving and encouraging wildlife.

I hope it will help the cause - I enjoy dropping in to Enstone, as it is a friendly club., and I hope to be able to continue to do so.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

There are of course substantial areas of disused runway at Enstone, so if you wanted to install panels and not disturb the grassland you could quite easily do this!

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 pm

Objection registered, good luck with the fight.

Graham Clark

Enstone

Post by Graham Clark » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 pm

In addition to the main hard wunway, there is a grass runway to the south as used by gliders, and a shortish grass runway immediatel west of the flying club and north of the main hard runway. I therefore sent the following objection by e-mail:

"Dear Sir

Proposed Solar Park – Enstone Airfield 11/1924/P/FP

I am writing to object to the above planning application.

I write as a frequent light aircraft visitor to Enstone airfield to visit friends, obtain maintenance for my aircraft, and occasional training.

The establishment of a solar park in close vicinity to an active runway is a foolish enterprise. There are long established rights to the use of immediately adjacent land for the operation of light aircraft. Due to the absence of alternative sites, if the solar installation is built pilots and training organisations will have no other choice but to continue to use these zones.

Aircraft occasionally suffer from a power failure during or immediately after take-off. Under such circumstances the pilot is obliged to land at once and has little or no choice on where to land. It is virtually certain, that one day a light aircraft would crash into the solar array causing death and injury, and terminal damage to an expensive ground installation.

This irresponsible proposal must be rejected upon grounds of safety to life and limb.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks for your support guys, I'll let you kmow the outcome in due course.

Ian Melville

Enstone Under Threat - Not for now

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Message from Paul Fowler at Enstone Flying Club
Had a great result yesterday at the planning meeting, the application to close the runway was unanimously rejected. Thank you to everyone that sent letters of objection, this helped enormously. This however is just a battle won not the war; we wait in anticipation for their next move....sadly.
Thanks for your support Folks