LAAET Electrics course - Highly Recommended

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

DaveWhite

LAAET Electrics course - Highly Recommended

Post by DaveWhite » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Yesterday, I attended the LAA Educational Trust's Electrics course.

For anybody like me who knew virtually nothing about the subject beforehand - or indeed for anybody aspiring to install or work on Permit aircraft electrics - I cannot recommend this course highly enough.

Run by Mark Castle-Smith, along with his father, this course is perfectly pitched in explaining the basic theory (really no more than revising V=IR and P=IV) whilst describing good practice, traps and poor practice, safety issues to be considered during both planning and installation, basic fault finding, key components and why they are as they are, plus quite a bit more during both the formal sessions and discussion. There is also an extremely comprehensive demonstration rig, which - as they usually are - is an invaluable aid to understanding.

Mark is an extremely clear and highly personable presenter, who is careful to make it obvious when he is expressing a personal opinion. I've sat through hundreds of courses of various types in my time, so I think I'm in a good position to conclude that he is a talented educator.

"My" course was held in the Dorset village of Milton Abbas (which has an interesting history), although Mark told us that he does travel to present elsewhere. In Milton Abbas, though, you get the benefit of a home cooked lunch from Mark's wife, including a choice of cake in the afternoon to have with the all day tea and coffee.

All this for a piffling £85.
--
Dave White

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Dave beat me to it. Excellent course yesterday and the cardamom soup was elixir!
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk