Hummelbird

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ian herdis

Hummelbird

Post by ian herdis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Anyone know how the UK Hummelbird is getting on, it was in the mag a few months ago and I think it was ready for flight testing

Ian Herdis

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:38 am

Hi Ian, it has flown a couple of times. First time it wasn't climbing very well so they tried a different prop. After a second, better flight, it was decided the half VW engine was not producing sufficient power. I believe it has a Scott Cassler built engine. Have not heard what the intention is now, possibly upgrade to one of Scott's more powerful versions of the half VW.

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for the update Brian looking forward to a flight test in the mag when they get it finished

Ian

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Is there a finer looking aircraft than the Hummelbird H5 shown on YouTube - "Hummelbird walk around". Its a hummmmdinger !

Andy Kennedy

Re: Hummelbird

Post by Andy Kennedy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi,

I'm considering buying a set of plans for a Hummelbird.

Does the fact that there is a UK example mean that its an accepted type?

Also, what are the chances of putting it on the register as an SSDR? Or now that it is an "LAA type" mean that engineering would have to agree to release it?

The wing loading is a bit marginal, but presumably there's nothing to stop you placarding it with a max weight of, say, 230Kg and using the ailerons as flaperons to meet the 35kt stall.

Andy

Andy Kennedy

Post by Andy Kennedy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Just seen the updated new types progress chart, it seems that the Hummelbird is still only permit to test fly, so not yet fully permitted.

:cry:

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:42 am

I probably haven't spoken to Allen for about a year but I imagine he's busy with the Newton Propeller business he took on about three years ago, his Hummelbird seems to be on the back burner. I know that Engineering required quite a lot of modifications to the design as Allen was building it so it wasn't a straightforward build from the plans. It isn't LAA approved and won't be unless test flying is satisfactorily completed.
However ...it would come within SSDR provided you can get the stall speed (stated as 42mph), down a couple of mph and my guess is that suitably placed vortex generators might well do that.
Andy, you comment that the wing loading is 'a bit marginal'. From the SSDR regulatory point of view wing loading is no longer an issue. For 115kg it was max 10kg per sq.m.but with the new category it is max all up weight of 300kg (315kg with a ballistic chute) and max 40mph (35kt) stall speed that are the deciding factors.
If I were considering building one I'd certainly talk to Engineering to find out what modifications they recommended and incorporate them.