BMAA/LAA merger talks

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Welshman,

I am not one to "bury my head in the sand". The point I was trying to make was the impression that the agressiveness, slagging off & inuendoes (probably spelt that wrong!) on this topic gives to non members. We are told we need more members I just don't think reading all the vitriol seen in this topic will do us any good. I was not agreeing or disagreeing with what you said. Complain, harangue but let's keep it civilised. I just felt uneasy reading all the posts. Maybe we should have a "Dogfight Corner" in the Forum for Members Only - to air their grievances. Only joking.

Bob F

BJ

Post by BJ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:08 am

So, Harry, if like me you feel the EC have made a very poor decision you suggest that, in worst case time wise, I need to wait a year for the AGM to say something about it??!!??

As for standing for the EC I can tell you that if it was an option for me then it would be done as I believe that the only way to get the LAA and BMAA together is for grass roots non political members to push and in this case it is the LAA EC that need pushing back to the table to continue getting the issues sorted in anticipation of a sucessful end to legal issues.
John Moore
BMAA Council Member
Coyote912 - but thinks Flexwings are the best.
My posts must not be taken as being representative of the opinion of the BMAA Council.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:50 am

“What we find distasteful is being treated like idiots and palmed of with half baked excuses.”

I see your point!

“There is a basic question to ask, do we want a merger or not? If we don't then just walk away and forget it.”

Hypothetically, let’s have a guess as to why we have.

We could carry on talks, spend lots of time and money and get to the point where a merger could happen after the case is settled. However if the case goes against the BMAA we will have weakened our position and spent money and time which could have been better spent. If the BMAA loose and cease to exist, we can throw up our hand and express sorrow and accept the 4000 ex BMAA members into our association as it would be the only game in town!

If the BMAA win, then we can reopen negotiations as if nothing had happened. This strategy only works if our legal advice is that the BMAA are likely to lose.

All completely hypothetical of course.

Rod1

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 am

I am posting this as a sign of my concern,not as an attack on any individual. I have conducted a small straw poll on most pilots that I know.Whilst I conceed that it is not scientific or conclusive,I believe it to be representative.Most of the people that I asked are members of the LAA and one or more other organisations,(BMAA or BGA.).
Of those asked the vast majority say that the LAA are in the wrong on this issue.
Perhaps more importantly some indicated that they would consider not renewing their LAA membership were it not for the fact that they need to be members because they currently fly on a Laa permit.
Some of these went on to express the view that with the current advances in microlight aircraft coupled with the escalating costs of fuel they would consider operating microlights at some time in the future.

merlin

Re: Amalgamation of LAA & BMAA

Post by merlin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:32 am

HarryH wrote:
We currently have an excellent EC doing a great deal of work (unpaid)

Harry Hopkins
The lack of minutes from this group, available to members, means that the majority of members are not as well appraised as you seem to be.

Yes some things get a mention in the mag. but I seem to recall a promise that minutes would be on the website. The BMAA put theirs in their mag.

Can members attend EC meetings ?

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:33 pm

the vast majority say that the LAA are in the wrong on this issue
J.C. What issue do you mean? Putting merger talks on hold? Believing that the pending legal action is a problem?... What precisely was the question that you straw-polled?

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:24 pm

A few weeks ago we wound up AOPA to the point that they threatened to sue us, leading to us apologising. We have now totally wound up the BMAA. Something appears to be going very wrong very fast. :(

Rod1

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm

...but some people wind up more easily than a Hornby train...

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Nick,if you were more in tune with others you would realise JUST how wound up they WERE getting ! I don't think its productive to be so flippant.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Well, I have read the BMAA forum on this topic (which is probably as representative of their membership as this one is of ours -- which you may interpret any way you choose), and have seen there levels of curmudgeonliness and paranoia to which we can only aspire!

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:40 am

Harry, in what way have I been rude, used bad language or caused offence ?

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Harry I think we have crossed wires,I have no wish to fall out with anyone,I haven't accussed you of anything.In fact I started my comment by explaining that it was my personal view and not intended to criticize anyone.
I recieved what I took to be a flippant reply and said that I did not find it helpfull.This was not directed at you so I don't understand your reply addressed to me.
However I don't want this to turn into a personal thread so lets not detract from the serious matter at hand.
I assure you my comments are meant to be pro-active and not critical.