BMAA/LAA merger talks

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

BJ

Post by BJ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:04 pm

See your message of the 20th? Time has moved on, Harry, and the BMAA Council are now looking to the way forward since the LAA EC have lifted the drawbridge on negotiation talks - and whoever tried to put a price tag on talks fielded one massive red herring.

As for having to be a member in order to get your permit nothing could be further from the truth. You dont.. The LAA (and the BMAA) are members organisations which, it would appear, are not always run by the members as the vast majority would continue the preparation in anticipation. The very fact that Roger will not suggests that the drawbridge has been lifted for other reasons.

BJ
John Moore
BMAA Council Member
Coyote912 - but thinks Flexwings are the best.
My posts must not be taken as being representative of the opinion of the BMAA Council.

BJ

Open letter to the LAA Chairman

Post by BJ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:43 pm

Dear Roger

At Monday's BMAA Council meeting the overwhelming view was one of regret that work had ceased on a possible merger between the BMAA & LAA. However, now that we are (at least for the time being) going our separate ways the Council felt it was important that we try to ensure
that we continue to cooperate as much as possible. For our part, the
BMAA would be happy to keep at least one working group or liaison
group going to ensure that any potential problems are nipped in the
bud. As Paul and David together with Mike and James established an
honest and cordial dialogue, maybe these four could continue to liaise
in some way. Although it is inevitable that we will compete from time
to time we ought to aim to minimise the extent to which we do so,
continuing to work together wherever possible for our mutual benefit
and that of sports and recreational aviation in general.
Best regards

Keith
John Moore
BMAA Council Member
My posts must not be taken as being representative of the opinion of the BMAA Council.

BJ

Post by BJ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Dear Mr. Brady,

So what is stopping this moving forward now?

BJ
John Moore
BMAA Council Member

BJ

Post by BJ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:19 am

The official open letter is as follows.

Dear Roger

A bit of Christmas cheer for you; the G-STYX matter has been
settled. As soon as you are able to put your own similar litigation behind you we welcome further discussions on the future of our two strong
associations.

Clearly our thoughts at this time are with the families of the two
people who lost their lives in the tragic accident. Nevertheless, I take this opportunity to wish you, the LAA EC and all members of the LAA a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best

Keith

Keith Negal
Chairman
British Microlight Aircraft Association
John Moore
BMAA Council Member

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 am

I was very enthusiastic about the merger and very disappointed at the decision to completely stop the discussion, which many of us found very strange. It will be interesting to see if this is seen as an opportunity to move forward or an inconvenience as another reason to stall will need to be found. Some people may also wish that the negotiations had been broken off in a more diplomatic way. Unfortunately we have probably lost a lot the harts and minds of the BMAA membership.

Rod1

BJ

Post by BJ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Absolutely - things could have been a few steps further forward.

Still what has gone has gone and I hope that not too many BMAA members will taste sour grapes and the snub they received.

The way forward is that the reason given for stopping talks, by Roger Hopkinson, was the GSTYX. Now that has gone an approach is being made to restart the talks.

The BMAA are aware that the LAA is in the middle of its own litigation case but we do not see this as a good reason not to prepare the ground.

Trouble is - it takes two to tango after all.
John Moore
BMAA Council Member

BJ

Post by BJ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Dear Mr. Brady,

So what is stopping this moving forward now?

BJ
John Moore
BMAA Council Member

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:58 pm

It is indeed good to hear that the BMAA can enter 2009 with the worries over G-STYX resolved, I am sure all at LAA wish them well for the future.
As the news broke less than 48 hours ago, it is perhaps somewhat premature to be expecting decisions on merger discussions; the EC meets on February 6th, and no doubt the merger issue will come up for consideration then.

Richard Boyton

Post by Richard Boyton » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Brian

Let's hope so. We all seek to stroke the same air and share the same wonderful view from the sky that this country, and others, have to offer

Richard

BJ

Post by BJ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:57 am

You need to wait for our EC meeting to move things forward?

Why?

The only issue cited was that of GSTYX. I know our LAA EC uses email.

So why the wait when its so clear that the blocking issue, on the BMAA side, has gone?
John Moore
BMAA Council Member

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:07 am

BJ,with Christmas almost upon us its not all that long to wait 'till the next commitee meeting and it is only right and proper that this subject is discussed at that level.
I fully support a merger and have done for years,but I don't think there is anything to be gained by taking an antogonistic approach on here.
John Cook

BJ

Post by BJ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:15 am

I dont think my aproach is antagonisic considering the manner the issue has been dealt with by our Chairman (and thats Roger) - I am sure more than a few are still suprised the BMAA would even consider this after what happened.

I still not sure they will but I am hopeful that now the excuse, sorry reason, for stopping the talks has gone things will now move forward once again.

Personally I was suprised to hear a response - the usual method of dealing with forum issues is just to ignore and hope that time will quietly pass..

Best wishes and ho-ho-humbug

John
John Moore
BMAA Council Member

JonKil

Post by JonKil » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:34 am

Maybe the LAA are not ready to "absorb" the BMAA just yet........ looked what happened when east Germany was absorbed by west Germany.
It has yet to get over absorbing that liability, who was governed by communists who would shoot their own workers in the back to cover their arse, and to boot, it still had the odd Nazi at the helm.... ring any bells?

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:11 am

Seeing as its all "going to the dogs",perhaps we should call the combined organisation PAWS.
(paranoia and wingeing society)
John Cook