CAA scrapping LAMP inventing GMPT!!

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MikeGodsell

CAA scrapping LAMP inventing GMPT!!

Post by MikeGodsell » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:48 pm

For goodness sakes everyone make your comments on the consultation for this nonsense. This is my contribution:
Dear Sir/Madam

Oh my God! Why do you guys still hang onto Generic maintenance programmes?

First LAMS then LAMP now GMPT! Why oh why do you want to reinvent the wheel?!

EASA part M is based on modification of the old French system. That system from the start used TYPE SPECIFIC MANUFACTURERS MAINTENANCE PROGRAMMES. All French manufactured certified aircraft were (and still are) sold with such programmes. Those non French manufactured certified aircraft that did not have a manufacturers programme (Cessnas, Pipers, and many British aircraft) received an approved type specific, and equipment specific maintenance programme. This programme was developed jointly by the maintenance organisation and GSAC and approved for personal issue to the aircraft owner/operator. Consequently there exists a library of fully up to date type specific maintenance programmes for every certified EASA type light aircraft currently operating in the EU.
These programmes are mostly written in the French language which is one of the official EU languages. I have been maintaining my French Robin EASA aircraft using a French language type specific maintenance programme in accordance with EASA part M rules. The programme is very specific and tells me what to do, when to do it, and how to carry out the tasks. This ensures that any competent aircraft mechanic can achieve full and safe maintenance on any EASA aircraft … a huge increase in safety over the haphazard nature of ‘one size fits all’ generic programmes.
Instead of requiring owners/operators and maintenance organisations to reinvent the wheel by developing yet another maintenance programme …. Just obtain from the French authorities copies of all their existing approved type specific maintenance programmes and issue them to British owners. If the Brits can’t understand French then they can get an approved English translation, but in my experience technical French is not a problem.

What EASA aircraft owners/operators and maintenance organisations/CAMOs don’t need is yet another generic manifestation that will yet again become unfit for purpose. The type specific maintenance programmes for every EASA light aircraft already exist, are fully approved, and have been in use for many years. Why not use them?

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Whatever happens, for safety sake we should all be using the relevant type specific maintenance programmes for our certified aircraft.
Easy if you own French manufactured types such as Robin, Socata, etc.
You need to open a subscription to the documentation holders: CEAPR for Robin ... then order an English language (or French or German) copy of the Approved Maintenance Programme and the maintenance manual, plus if required, the flight manual, and parts manual.
You will receive a maintenance programme in the ATA 100 format. At the top of each page is a box for the owners name ... you must fill this in with the surname first (Bloggs Joe) on every page of the programme. At the front of the programme is an owner's 'declaration of responsibility for maintenance' under EASA part M rules which must be signed.
This programme is then sent off (in two copies) to the relevant National Aviation Authority (GSAC, CAA,) who check that it is for the aircraft registered in your name, and is the latest issue with all repetitive ADs incorporated. The NAA approves your personalised type specific (for your aircraft only) maintenance programme, keeps a copy and sends you the official version to be used by you or your contracted agents.
The process takes about a week in France, and costs a nominal fee of about ten Euros.
If you own a French aircraft, get hold of the correct maintenance programme, sign it and then become seriously assertive with the CAA and your CAMO and anyone else who thinks they can play fast & loose with the EASA part M rules.