Spreading our wings

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

pillpoppinpilot

Spreading our wings

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Good evening All

A friend and I thought it about time we spread our wings a little, so we've decided to fly to Denmark via Holland (been to Holland before).

Anyone flown in/to Denmark? Looking for any gottchas and some good places or interesting airfields to visit.

We'll be flying in a PA28R at the beginning of July hopefully.

Thanks

Tony Smith

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:54 pm

I've not visited that many.
Stauning has a museum and hosts the KZ rally in early June, a very popular event.
Ærø is a very pleasant Island with a friendly aeroclub.
Tønder is just over the German border and used to be popular for cheap avgas. I think those days are over sadly, but it may still be worth a visit.
Roskilde near Copenhagen is a busy GA airport and probably the best choice for visiting Copenhagen.
I've flown over a few more that looked quite tempting and I'm sure there are a few gems there. It's flat as a pancake but watch out for the wind farms if you're VFR below a low ceiling.
Mark Albery

Kevin Dilks

Sweden

Post by Kevin Dilks » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Sorry to Hi Jack the thread similar questions about flying to Sweden ( Vestaros) . Where to get charts for Germany Denmark and Sweden? Best route on a SEP etc etc

Cheers
Kevin

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:35 pm

http://www.pilotshop.nl/ Peter Mundy's shop in Lelystad keeps a good stock of European ICAO charts at a reasonable price. The Jepp's charts are available from most of the usual pilot shops.
Mark Albery

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Kevin

Nice plane by the way, I take that's what your going in? When are you going?
Our thoughts were to go via Belgium and Holland as I have a dislike of lots of very cold water! We thought about going via the Friesian islands (I think that's what the islands north of Holland are called) as each one seems to have its own airfield. Then pootle on up into Denmark and if time permits nip into Sweden.

If we do take the wet route then we'll have to hire a life raft etc.

Tony Smith

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 am

Suggest you don't bother landing in Belgium, you are supposed to get permission to fly in Belgium and they take 80 euros off you for the privelege. Technically you should still get the permission even to fly through their airspace but let's just say that's a personal choice.
The Friesians are certainly worth a look, my favourite is the one farthest east, Wangarooge, on a sunny day it looks like a tropical island in a beautiful tourquoise sea. No cars but small enough to walk around, last time I was there the airfield manager's parents did b&b.
Another off beat stop could be Heligoland, two very small islands farther north where the Germans had sub pens during the war. They have been destroyed now but the islands (airfield on one then a boat ride to the town on the other island), are now a Mecca for Germans buying tax free goods. I haven't been there personally but a friend has, short runways if you aren't used to strip flying, though they run Islanders out of there.
Endelave is a lovely island airstrip in Denmark, you land, park and then help yourself to a bicycle from the barn and head off into town. Somebody has already mentioned Tonder, popular with German aviators who nip over from Germany for cheap avgas.
Last edited by Brian Hope on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Dilks

Trips

Post by Kevin Dilks » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 pm

My Wife has a Sister married to a Swede ( got to be a joke there) and they live in Västerås which has a nice regional airport that is very quiet bar Ryan scare going there. We would not stop too much going but take a lazy return.
every one here says go to the hook of Holland but like PPP I don't fancy lugging all the extra kit and the water scares the &*% out of my wife.
I think we would go around June but not too sure of that yet.
Thanks for the nice comments on the plane , all good at the moment with it.
Will get some charts and start the home work.

Cheers
Kevin

Trevor Harvey

Re: Trips

Post by Trevor Harvey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Kevin Dilks wrote:My Wife has a Sister married to a Swede ( got to be a joke there) Cheers
Kevin
I have a daughter married to a Turnip, will that do??

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Midden Zeeland in Holland seems to be a reasonable place to clear customs into the Schenger area, or you could do it earlier at Calais going that way. Holland has a ridiculous regulation that all aircraft are supposed to carry a fixed ELT, but the dutch pilots say that as long as you mark it on your flightplan, no one is worried. Not sure what the latest saga is with the Dutch mode S requirements, although people Ive spoken to havent had problems transiting without mode S. Last time I flew thru Holland (4 years ago), it was no problem without a transponder below 1200ft, but things may have changed. In Germany you need one about 5000ft, Denmark was no problem, no was Sweden, except one class D zone who wouldnt let us in because we didnt have a transponder- just being deliberatly akward as there was nothing else on the frequency except someone on the ground and the same guy was doing ground, tower and zone control.
A good place to stop in Sweden is Hoganas, just across the water from Denmark, you can stay in the rooms in the clubhouse, a bit basic, but perfectly adequate and borrow the bikes to go into town. Two long grass runways and friendly people.
We got all our charts from AFE, you can go to one of their shops or look online.
KZ Rally at Stauning is great, but its mostly just a Saturday fly-in with a small airshow, not much happens on the other days, its usually the second weekend in June. The Swedish EAA fly-in is usually the first weekend in June, havent seen where this year's location is.
We stopped in Bremehaven when going this way, friendly and efficient 4 years ago, didnt stop in Denmark except for the KZ Rally.

have a good trip!

Nigel

gasax

Post by gasax » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 am

It's a while since we went that way.

Roskilde is a good choice of destination - terrific Viking boat museum and easy trains into the centre of Copenhagen.

Odense was fine - but a long way from town and not a lot there to see.

Pretty effective ATC - but they do expect you to sort out the various zones etc - so whilst you think you are getting a FIS and talking to them there is still a need to change and call for clearance etc. The FIS seems so effective it took us by surprice (yes I know, I know!).

Lots of small airfields - which you will need a GPS to find, most of the grass strips are pretty hard to spot - much harder than here.

Do at least one sightseeing flight up the Eastern coast - really interesting.

Have a look at the Jepperson charts for Northern Germany, the ones we had featured very little detail and so it was GPS to the Danish border - no motorways or major tomns / rivers!!
Pete Morris

Nordic Flyer

Post by Nordic Flyer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Sweden
I am based at Linköping (ESSL) in Sweden which is about 80nm south west of Västerås. Two routes in to Sweden would be a) from northern Denmark to the airfields at Falkenberg or Varberg or b) via the Copenhagen area to the southern tip of Sweden. Option b) has the least water crossing and Höganäs or Eslöv are good places to land (Eslöv is a mecca for homebuilt and vintage aircraft). A good place to visit on the way north to Västerås is Visingsö which is a picturesque grass field on the island which sits in Lake Vattern.

Jepp maps cover Denmark and southern Sweden, but not quite up to Västerrås. So you will need a Swedish ICAO ½ mil or a Swedish Aero Club ¼ mil map. The ICAO ones you can buy in the UK from the likes of Transair: The Swedish Aero Club ones you can buy from www.pilotshop.se They also sell an excellent airfield guide (in Swedish!). The Jepp VRF guide to Sweden is hopelessly out of date and rather poor in comparison.

The Swedish EAA fly in is at Karlskoga between the 8-10 June 2012. It has moved one week later this year so as not to clash with a large flying display in Linköping the weekend before. July 18 to 25 there will be a Jodel and classic aircraft meeting at the mountain airport of Hedlanda http://www.jodelmeeting.se

Denmark
Take a look at www.airfields.dk to find information about airports and private airfields in Denmark. I am currently planning a trip there this summer. There are plenty of island grass strips that look very interesting for a Jodel but check the field lengths for a PA28R!

Peter Curwen

R Perry

Post by R Perry » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:22 am

You can't beat Endelave (agree with Brian!)