Forum use

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

stickandrudderman

Post by stickandrudderman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 am

Post deleted.

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:39 am

So stickman, if you really do want to try to change things, put together a cogent argument to present to the Board indicating why it should reconsider the current forum operating rules. It will be considered by the Member Services Committee, of which I am a member, and will get a full and fair hearing.
Presumably, those who oppose anonymity will also get a full and fair hearing.

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 am

"And, Mr Moderator, please remind us why certain anonymous contributors are regular allowed, yet not others".
I must agree with Mike Hallam on this point.

As John Dean the Moderator stated earlier in this thread:

"It was a Board decision that real names should be used on the forums and if you feel that it is unreasonable then I suggest you take it up with HQ. Whilst the rule exists, I will try to ensure that the rule is followed."

I think it's about time that trying to ensure the rule is followed is firmed up too "the rule will be followed" and if those that don't append their real name at least to the end of a post then those posts should be deleted.

Enough said on the subject I think and all it needs from now on is all posts carry the "real name" of the author in some way.

What's not so difficult about that!
Roger Callow

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:49 am

Enough said on the subject I think and all it needs from now on is all posts carry the "real name" of the author in some way.

What's not so difficult about that ?!
NOTHING !!! Just comes across as being rather dictatorial, inflexible and unecessary.

Just cannot understand why the LAA feels it needs this rule. It is a "closed" forum so only members can post unless of course you are a "hacker" in which case guess any one can come along and leave their mark but rather think the "hacker" will probably not have an aeronautical topic in mind.

What is the problem in letting stickandrudderman, or anyone else come to that, have their say using a "nom de plume"? Seems to work well enough elsewhere. Why does the LAA forum need a different rule. The moderator/censor can remove any material, as has been well demonstrated.

If folk want to post normal "chatter", which is not offensive, obscene or libelous why not let them do it over a nom de plume? It is the "norm" in many other areas of the "net".

Planemike < aka Michael J BLAKE >
Michael Blake

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi Planemike, I have a reasonably fast motorbike and have a reasonable amount of experience riding it so would it be OK if I didn't wear my crash helmet and didn't have to keep to 70 on the motorway please? I know there are rules but let me be a special case because I'm a thoroughly decent chap, honest. It is rather inflexible and dictatorial to make me obey the rules don't you think?
Now unless I'm a footballer, a banker or a politician there's not much chance I'm going to get away with that now is there? Though I'm not one who necessarily lives life following all the rules, I at least follow what is generally expected, and this forum expects me to use my real name. If I don't want to I either don't use it, or I try reasonable debate with those who make the rules to try and get the rule changed. Stickman clearly thinks he is above all that, maybe he is a footballer or a banker; I doubt he's a politician because he hasn't yet gone off on a tangent and answered a completely different question to what everybody else is talking about.
The offer is on the table to discuss this issue at a Member Services committee meeting, and of course we will consider that the majority of posters seem inclined to retain the status quo.

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Brian Hope ...............

Not too sure what semi-fast bikes, crash helmets and motorway speed limits have to do with this.

Think I have made my views clear. Give us the choice of whether to use our own name or a pseudonyn, we are adults. The forum is a "closed" one so you have to be a member to post anyway. Any material that the LAA does not approve of can be removed by a moderator/censor anyway. That has been proven to work.

Many other forums work perfectly well without this rule. This forum is moribund, dead, boring, uninteresting, under utilised..... Not saying scrapping the rule would bring about a massive change but it sure can't make it less used.

If some folk can be allowed to use a pseudonym why not give that choice to all.

In the mean time there are plenty of other more lively boards to surf.... If the LAA wants to have a moribund, dead, boring, uninteresting, under utilised that of course is their choice. I just don't happen to agree with it.

Michael J BLAKE (aka Planemike)
Last edited by Planemike on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Michael Blake

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 pm

If folk want to post normal "chatter", which is not offensive, obscene or libelous why not let them do it over a nom de plume? It is the "norm" in many other areas of the "net".

The problem occurs when the poster is offensive,patronising,insulting or obsene.

No name,no responsibility.

I hope this is discussed in detail and then maybe we can do the democratic thing and vote on it instead of the original poster declaring that the problem with this forum is the lack of anonymity. Did he do a straw poll or something to which none of us were invited?

I have no wish to see this degenerate into a slanging match, so a bit of decorum wouldn't go amiss fellers

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:41 pm

I also have no problem with Nom de Plumes as long as the the input is useful and interesting. I would also expect that the moderator has access to the real name of the contributor.
One of the most enjoyable parts of our magazine is written under a nom de plume i.e. John Beeswax and whilst I know who it is many of you do not. In that case there was a reason for it all those years ago due to his employers rules though I doubt whether many companies make those rules today.

I would prefer that we used our real names but if you have a reason not to and our moderator can live with it then who really cares?
Stuart Macconnacher

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 am

There is a big difference between this forum and that of Flyer and PPRUNE. Both of those are watched over very close to 24/7/365 by the moderators. Flyer will' manage' wayward posts in short order. PPRUNE has a lower target and at times fails to reach that :lol:

Do we want a full time moderating team? Can you/we afford the time? I'd rather go building/flying

I have no problem with a Nom de Plumes if required for valid reasons, and agreed with the mods. The status we have now?

I don't thnk having the current rules is damaging to the forum, though it would be nice to have an area where visitor can ask questions about the LAA, that brings us back to my second paragraph.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:05 am

What is the justification for wanting to make posts under nom de plumes rather than use their legal name? Some posters here have valid (and agreed) reasons to use nom de plumes due to jobs/positions they hold (employer policies etc.)
Tony Nowak

John Price

Post by John Price » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:22 am

Don't we seem to go through this issue about once every 18 months or so ? Then it just sorts of runs out of steam !

John.

PS Rod 1 what do you do, I'm now rather intrigued. Please PM me

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Seems to me, that some rules like some laws, are there to be used only when the intent behind them is abused. Until stickandrudderman stirred things up, Rod1 could be relied upon to answer many questions on this forum.
Now Rod1 feels compromised and we will have to look for his valuable help on the other forums.
Shame really :(

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:57 pm

On the BMAA forum there was a member of that asasociation who received so much stick and abuse that he left. He was the most valuable contributer by far and went out of his way to help members with many problems. He was constantly badgered by named and "secret" contributers who were, quite frankly, jealous of his knowledge and willingness to help. I too abandoned my membership of that association, due purely, to the bitter squabbles on the forum. Brotherly banter it was not !