Forum use

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

stickandrudderman

Forum use

Post by stickandrudderman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:38 pm

This forum is severely underpopulated.
Probably because of the ridiculous anonymity rule.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 pm

How the heck did you get on here then !

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:18 pm

stickandrudderman,

It was a Board decision that real names should be used on the forums and if you feel that it is unreasonable then I suggest you take it up with HQ. Whilst the rule exists, I will try to ensure that the rule is followed. I am very relaxed about how this is done whether by changing your user name or having a signature or a combination of the two.

However Colin, I have requested you use your real name on more than one occasion and as you have ignored the request you leave me little option but to either delete all your further posts unless you include your name or insert it for you.

John

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 am

It's not ridiculous to me. I can bear responsibility for my actions by using my real name. Can you Stikandrudderman?

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 am

Well & succinctly expressed Alan.

I wholeheartedly concur, why should one need to hide one's name, it only encourages the trolls.

mike hallam

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:45 am

I was forced into putting my name up on the board. It is the only board where I have had to do this. Can see no good reason to do it. If folk wish to remain anonymous they should be allowed to do so. I don't see the problem. You cannot join the board unless you are a PFA member, oh whoops, we have to be LAA members now...........!!!

Planemike
Michael Blake

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Unfortunately on many other Forums, anonymity seems to give posters the right to be a little arrogant, rude and patronising. Not only on Aviation websites either. However having posted on flying forums and being retaught minor grammatical errors, which had absolutely nothing to do with the original post. Also being instructed on how to fly my aircraft having just given an opinion to another poster, only to find that the so called expert hadn't even sat in a taildragger let alone flown one made me quite cross. This has stopped me from contributing to many subjects on which I have what I believe some experience and would help.

I believe this is down to the anonymity and lack of vailidity due to being anonymous.

If you can't admit your persona, don't post. Why should I listen to you if you hide behind a mask?

stickandrudderman

Post by stickandrudderman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Post deleted.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Not worth the argument, but anonymous postings purporting to give good advice to inexperienced pilots only to be proven to be given by a numpty without even a car license isn't good. At least using a real name puts the onus on the poster to either qualify his advice or be held responsible for it.

I am with the LAA on this and only hope they decide to block all anonymous posts.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Suggestion, as this crops up from time to time and as there is merit to both trains of thought, perhaps the forum could operate in 2 tiers?? a general level which could run with anonymous postings and a Members only with genuine names and the need for a log in???

What are members views on that??
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Paul Hendry-Smith wrote: perhaps the forum could operate in 2 tiers?? a general level which could run with anonymous postings and a Members only with genuine names"
I thought that was what Pprune and the Flyer Forum existed for!

We are all members on here and should have no reason to hide behind a nom de plume or other such contrived nicknames.

What's to hide!
Roger Callow

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Just think we should be treated as adults and allowed the choice of whether to use our own name or a "handle" but it seems nanny/big brother LAA has to make that decision for us. Do not understand why that is necessary. Simples !!!!

Planemike
Michael Blake

stickandrudderman

Post by stickandrudderman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Post deleted.

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Stickandrudderman...............

So you did not delete or own post? T'was action by a mod, then? Yes.

Planemike
Michael Blake

stickandrudderman

Post by stickandrudderman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Post deleted.