Anonymity on the Forum ? It doesn't work does it.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Gerry Holland

Who's who and what's what tedious debate!

Post by Gerry Holland » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 am

How about this as a stupid halfway compromise.
To use Forum you have to be an LAA Member?
If that is the case then those who want to remain anonymous can use there LAA Membership Number only but the Moderator will be able to check and know ID. In the event of 'flaming' or inappropriate comments he could even expose name to a wider audience. That could be another attraction of the LAA Annual Event with a Ducking Stool or Stocks where the justice of the comments will be administered to these foul perpetrators and revolutionaries!
Other Forums have a 'Hot Air' section where all the crap of the day can be aired without interjection from Moderator.
Aviation is such a small world that if you are personally rude then you will at some point meet those commented on. Let's please move on!
Gerry
Name, Address and Boot Size given if necessary. RAF Service No. be OK?

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:56 pm

chris martyr wrote:JOHN DEAN,,,,,,COME ON DOWN..
I just have!! - from 39,000ft after being stuck in cattle class across the Atlantic. Need to get some sleep now but Sun n Fun was its usual superb show.

As far as using real names on these forums is concerned, the EC (now Board) made the decision following a recommendation by the National Council. Any change in policy must come from the same source.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Rod1 wrote:OK Paul and others I give up. I will voluntarily restrict rod1 to posting answers to technical questions and forum fly in stuff. After over 550 posts and having organized several forum flyins at least I can say I have made a positive contribution.

Rod1 out :cry:
A shame, it has never been my intention to make anybody feel uncomfortable about their presence on the forum, what I cannot support however is an Animal Farm syndrome where some are allowed privileges over others.

The issue of anonymity keeps cropping up every 12 to 18 months and everybody else complies or gets moderated, end of !!

As John Dean has said the EC made the decision and until it is revoked then we must all abide by the ruling, or somebody must pick up the challis and change it.

It would certainly clarify issues if us poor mortals where enlightened as to what employer sensitivities would be offended by anybody posting under their real name???? it has been suggested to me that there would be a great case for you against them as they would be infringing your human rights.........
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:38 pm

This 'anonymity' rule seemed to be introduced when the new website / forum was started as part of us becoming the LAA, assuming I remember correctly.

Like a number of the things that happenned around then it was botched amid rush and secrecy!
We ended up with a carppy url address, despite there being at least one really 'trick' one available, and a forum that, by comparison with the old one, is pretty dead. It still isn't as busy as the old PFA one was. I feel sure this rule on anonymity is a major factor in this.
Also we lost a valuable resource with the effective demise of the old forum as there were useful threads going back years. One I would really like to be able to consult now concerned blowing your own canopy!

You have to be approved by HQ to get an account to post here, so they must be able to tie identities to usernames should the need arise, for legal reasons. Insisting it is displayed is not what is required, and the fact that some don't (I'm sure their reasons are valid) is just divisive. Some of the 'moderation' that has been carried out in pursuit of this rule has rendered some potentially useful threads pretty well useless.

As so often happens in the modern world, what is labelled as 'progress' results in something over regulated and less useful.

Sorry to be negative - there has been much that is good in the changes since we became the Light Aviation Association (the name it should have been to cover what it does - covering so much more than just aircraft!).
The rise of the excellent educational programme under Brian Hope is very welcome, as is the new magazine with Malcolm's Safety Spot.
The evolution of the website into a useful resource of details for mods etc is very useful, if somewhat overdue.
The advance of the association as a lobby group both of itself and in conjunction with other UK and European associations is also a great improvement over previous, rather more parochial, attitudes.

It's just rather sad that a vibrant, free and friendly forum was a lovely bouncing baby that got thrown out with the old website's bathwater.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Paul Lawrence

Post by Paul Lawrence » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 pm

I have always used my name on the forum since I first registered donkey years ago! I don't post much on the forums but majority of the people I know apart from Rod (sorry!) use their names. No doubt the debate will go on and on, but I will have better things to do this weekend like go flying!

Will be at Popham on Sunday for the Jodel fly-in. See you all there?

Paul

Jonathan Holland

Post by Jonathan Holland » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:38 pm

My name is Marjorie at weekends :lol:

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks Marge, you made me laugh anyway.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Id prefer everyone uses there real names, but if we stay a members only forum, then I cant really see why we couldnt allow "handles" or whatever you want to call them, if people really want them. However, as John says, the Board would need to change the rule. Brian has volunteered to ask the question.
I cant see a problem, even today, with certain exceptions to the rule, such as Rod, as he has a genuine reason, accepted by the board. I dont know what his reason is and I dont need to know, but if it is good enough for the board, its good enough for me. After all its not going to affect me going flying!

As for the other thread, Ive no interest in expanding the forum to cover non aviation subjects, if you want that go to flyer, pprune or 1000s of other non aviation forums!

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:38 am

Anonymity, Pah - I hoped that the thumbnail might show my reg.[G-EVPI]

My name is there for all to see, I live at Rose Cottage , Bonfire Lane,
Horsted Keynes ,West Sussex.
I work as a Certifying Engineer for a nearly large airline, [ couldn't possibly tell you which ] But do happen to be privy to large amounts of 'controlled information' via Boeing and Airbus maintenance manuals and MELs .
When I'm not at home or at work ,then I'm probably down at Deanland .

And if I'm not at home ,or at work, or flying, then I'm probably at The Green Man, Village Green ,Horsted Keynes.
.............Hold on,, there's a big,ugly black car just pulled up outside, says something like ZIL on the bonnet , got two shaven-headed gorillas in leather coats sitting in it , uh-oh one's just putting his hand inside his lapel... Oh it's probably just the bloke from The Pru .

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:55 am

No Chris, youi're out of date old chap. the ZIL is consigned to history and times have moved on from the Cold war. But if you're quick, you might spot the black Omega 8)

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:43 am

Well in that case Chris I can now reveal all & that I operate a plane from....................

Uuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhh -- they got me.....

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Certifying Engineer: I have to ask; do you put the method in their madness?

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Tom,,,couldn't possibly answer that. Anyway, it's supposed to be a debate about anonymity. Rgds, Chris1 AKA Ben10.

[ Also harper7 , but only after 9pm and at weekends ]

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:46 am

Paul Lawrence wrote:...the debate will go on and on, but I will have better things to do...
Point taken! I was at work, it was 'friday' afternoon and I was bored!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Roger Camp

Post by Roger Camp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:48 am

Tom Sheppard wrote:Certifying Engineer: I have to ask; do you put the method in their madness?
Nope we just put the cost of the Rotax spares up. :D