differences training for vp prop

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

johnM

differences training for vp prop

Post by johnM » Sat May 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi

I have just completed a sportcruiser with a vp prop. Do I need vp difference training?
If I do then presumably someone else is going to need to do the test flying. Or can I get an instructor to take me up to do the training in the test period.
And finally as a 300 hour pilot, would the LAA consider me fit to do the test flying, apart from the initial flight.
thanks
john

David Hardaker

Test flight release certificate

Post by David Hardaker » Sat May 24, 2008 6:20 pm

John

The notes on the Permit Flight Release Certificate include :-

1. This certificate is issued to cover flights made only for the purpose of flight testing for the issue of a Permit to Fly.

So the answer to your question is no, you can't be checked out during test flying.
To be realistic, and to do your project justice, whoever flies it needs all their attention on the job in hand, ie making sure the aircraft behaves itself ! (some don't, I have first hand experience !!)

Regards

David H

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Sat May 24, 2008 6:34 pm

John Hi!
Q. I have just completed a sportcruiser with a VP prop. Do I need VP difference training?

A. Yes if you have an NPPL (I think) but yes anyway if you haven't flown with that type of power control. Extra checks are needed, and care when selecting flight modes such as take off, climb and cruise. Approach and circuit configurations can also be fraught. It all needs practice and guidance. Finally. Using a CS controller and setting power parameters for best fuel consumption or speed gains from experience and the training from others. I had this situation a few months ago and value highly the training I received. Learning as you fly without training may well distract you from the primary task of flying the aircraft and add to the accidents tally of distracted flight.
Regards
Gerry

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:47 pm

When I finished my aircraft – 3 years 3 months of work, the LAA were prepared to allow me to test fly it (I had over 700 hours). I decided not to. On first flight, an impartial test pilot will not take any risks with his own skin, even if this means the aircraft gets bent. I would have been fixated on not breaking my pride and joy, which is not the right mindset. :(

I too have a CS prop (with an CSC1 control). It is very easy to use, but do not try to learn until the aircraft is proven. You can then get an instructor, explain to him how it works, he will be totally baffled! Then take him up and he will sign you off. :wink:

Rod1

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Sun May 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Differences training for VP props is quite simple. However, for flight test you need to understand what can go wrong, how to recognise it and how to handle it with minimum risk given that something else may be going wrong at the same time and you might be a bit busy. So a bit of experience with wobbly props is probably a good thing. Apart from anything else you need to be able to recognise when things are working properly.

Remember that the exceptional pilot uses his/her exceptional judgement to avoid situations where he/she might have to exercise his/her exceptional skill.

John

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi John, there are plenty of LAA coaches that can help you with VP prop training, go to the LAA website and click on training, any problems PM me.
Regards
Will