BAGBY AIRFIELD THREATENED WITH CLOSURE

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bob Potts

BAGBY AIRFIELD THREATENED WITH CLOSURE

Post by Bob Potts » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Bagby Airfield (EGNG) has been hit with an unprecedented 14 Planning Enforcement Notices by the Local Authority, designed to ensure its closure.

We need your support to keep Bagby Airfield's facilities open and protect the 15 jobs there.

Please spare an hour or 2 of your time on Tuesday 22nd May 2012 to show your support at the Appeal Hearing at Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, DL6 2UU at 10am or click on the link below to comment on this case and register your support on the planning portal at Case Summary for APP/G2713/C/11/2165522

We need to show Hambleton District Council that the Airfield has the support of its users and the wider community so please pass this information to anyone who may be moved to support us.

Be certain of one thing - if the planning authority are successful in their enforcement action a precedent will have been set and other local and national airfields may find themsleves at risk from closure too.

If you'd like a poster to display at your local airfield please email us at [email protected] and we'll email you one.

Transport will be provided from the Airfield to the Appeal Hearing venue if you wish to fly-in.

A buffet will also be provided at the Airfield for those who attend the hearing to lend their support.

Thank you

Steve Hoyle
Airfield Manager - Bagby (EGNG)

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Steve,

please send me details of the issues and I can arrange for all the UK sports aviation organisations to maken substantive applications to the planning authority. We did this recently for a gliding site. We do need objective and complete details of the issues though

John Brady
Vice-Chairman

[email protected]

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Is this about the same 14 enforcement points that were raised by the Council last year ?

I briefly looked them up, which don't appear so one sided.

The Council has already yielded where school use has been proven in excess of ten years.

I didn't understand what the N/S runway misuse was about ?

The remainder seem to be claimed Planning breaches: buildings & aviation linked expansion of commercial business.

It did not seem to demand imminent closure of the field.

mike hallam

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I have to agree with Mike when he says it doesn't appear to be one sided and after reading the Council's summary of "events" and other documents stretching back to the time when planning permission was first granted for the airfield, IMHO many of the current problems could have been avoided.

http://www.hambleton.gov.uk/environment ... efault.htm

It does seem as though the issues relating to the Air Ambulance may no longer be relative, if the move to RAF Topcliffe becomes a reality.l

Also like Mike, I don't see the airfield as such is threatened with closure however, the loss of potential expansion prospects may well create financial difficulties for the owners and in these straightened times who knows what the future holds for Bagby airfield.

I sincerely hope the outcome of the appeal doesn't mean closure in the long term, as I have always enjoyed visiting the place (even when a certain previous owner was doing his best to drive people away) and hope to be able to visit for many more years to come!
Roger Callow

Bob Potts

Post by Bob Potts » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Yes Roger the previous owner was a star wasnt he, interpersonal skills very limited. :evil:

Jim Hargrave

Post by Jim Hargrave » Wed May 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Think you might find it's because Leeming is being ramped up to be the busiest training base in the Country with the North Yorks Moors and the Vale of York no-go areas for GA. Hate to say this, but think it's a done deal.