Here We Go !

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mike newall

Here We Go !

Post by mike newall » Thu May 24, 2012 10:25 pm

phpBB - Gets everywhere !

Nice new forum,

Loses a bit of space with the big blue box in the left corner - makes the posts a bit narrow, but I'm sure we will get used to it.

phpBB is about the best, so well done :mrgreen:

ChampChump

Re: Here We Go !

Post by ChampChump » Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 am

Techy talk already. Still, better than tetchy talk.

Is phpBB code for 'push here people - black button' 'cause I can only find one and if I push it the screen goes off.
Nic Orchard

antest4

Post by antest4 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:13 am

I suspect the space on the left will be filled with stuff !

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 am

But why do we have to log in each time........... :?

Other phpBB's don't require this.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed May 30, 2012 12:21 am

I can't find an option have the poster's names on the left. Is it me or am I missing something?

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 am

I've been having to sign in each time to the old one, except for a brief time when it allowed me to stay recognised. I was hoping the new code would enable that for me.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 am

It's recognised me when I re-visited, without requiring a re-log in, so I guess the acceptance of cookies has now worked.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Now it doesn't recognise me on return.... Need to log in again. How tedious!

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks for that, Dave. The problem has been flagged up with our IT experts and will be worked on after the weekend.

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 pm

hmm, search doesn't seem to find anything - from the Forum page anyway - the search on the front page is finding all the "old" stuff.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 am

At last I can post again :!:
My last message to say my issues had been resolved was a bit premature as less than 24hrs later I was back to square one. I hope it is fixed properly this time, but just in case I am going to post my issues here.
I did raise the issue direct to the office, and the only message I have had back is to log off then back in, which I already knew had no effect. I find it sad that I have had no updates from the office, and there has been no notices on this forum about issues that are effecting a number of people.

Just to recap:
It doesn’t matter which PC or operating system I use
Or which browser. The latest version of IE, FF, and Chrome have been tried
Clearing cache and cookies makes no difference.

Sometimes I have to log in twice before it shows me as logged in, but I am still unable to post any messages in reply to existing topic or create a new topic. If I try I get sent to my account details.
New unread messages are not highlighted (as though I was not logged in)
I have no option to stay logged in.

As I said it is working for me at the moment, apart from the last issue. Lets hope it stays that way.
Cheers
Ian
Ian Melville

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:00 am

Ian,

Sorry you have been having problems

They have been noted and we are expecting much work to be done on them and other issues during the coming week.

One problem which may have affected you is the fact that there are two logins on the index page, one for the members area and one for the forum. It was possible to be logged in to the members area and not the forum. If you then tried to log in to the forum it took you to one of your account pages and not the login screen. The only way out was to log out of the members area and then when you logged back in again, you would be logged in to both areas. Hence the suggestion of logging out and back in.

I am not an IT expert but most of the problems seem to arise because we are not using a standard issue of phpBB (which is fairly easy to manage) but one which is tied closely to the membership management system.

John

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks for the update John.
Yes I have seen two different login on occasion, one with the option to remain logged in appeared very briefly. The one I have been using is the Login that is in the top right of the Board Index Page. Immediately below the 'About us' and 'Contact Us'

Looking at the screen as I type this there is two options to log out, In the location mentioned above, and in the user control panel header. I will keep an I eye out to other login options, as I suspect from your description I am logged into the membership part, but not the forum.

I do work in IT, and am well aware that bespoke software is a nightmare. It is often what gives IT a bad name. I am sure you will get it all sorted, however in a few years time you may have further problems when you next try to refresh the website. The original programmers will have forgotten how it worked (or moved on), and outsider help just won't know where to start.
Cheers
Ian
Ian Melville

paulcrabb

Post by paulcrabb » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Hello Ian,

There is now only 1 login and you will remain logged in to the Forum and your user "account" for a number of weeks until you choose to "logout". The phpBB3 forum is now a standard installation - the previous phpbb2 forum was non-standard. The new phpbb3 forum is linked to the Drupal users using standard connections so they should be maintainable going forward. Hopefully things will be a bit more joined up than they have been over the last week or so.

Paul.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi Paul,
Just after my last post I lost access again. I don't know what changes you have made so far but I still see two locations to login. But I suspect they are to the same login.
Using either one I get this when I login. Note that I am not logged into the PHP forum

Through trial and error I have found that PHPBB3 log in is case sensitive for the user name.
ian melville = No forum
Ian Melville = forum OK

If I am lazy I get no access :(

That should help you sort out the issue one way or another :D
Ian Melville