Calais

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Steve

Calais

Post by Steve » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Can anyone tell me please:
1. Can I still enter France from the UK through Calais?
2. How much notice must I give?
3. Can the advice I am coming so they can advise customs be the flight plan itself?

Thanks.
Steve Sampson

John Dean

Re: Calais

Post by John Dean » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 am

Details of all the French airfields can be found here.

1. Yes
2. 2 hours by fax or on the internet
3. No

Also best to check the Notams for any recent changes.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks!
Steve Sampson

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:37 am

There have been many rumours recently that Calais is about to lose its customs status but I have just received a copy of the following email which makes it seem unlikely:-

Subject: TR: calais LFAC

I have just spoken to one of your collegues concerning French customs at LFAC Airport.

For your information, French customs will continue its missions dedicated to international and especially extra Schengen trafic.

Under no circumstances extra Schengen trafic will be remorved from LFAC airport.

The local authorities who run the airport are receiving more and more phone calls with regards to French customs and obviously, this shows up on the trafic. British pilots seem to be afraid of this untrue situation.

The local government are investing 150000 € in refurbishing French customs offices, the main hall as from monday the 21st of May.

Attached is a copy of the local newspaper mentionning this investment.

Could you possibly withdraw any mentions of the French customs and that the LFAC airport will remain open as usual as well as the restaurant despite the workers.

Thanking you in advance. Transfer this mail at your friends and all pilots do you know

Yours faithfully

Xavier DELATTRE
Aéroport Calais-Dunkerque / Calais-Dunkerque Airport
Pompier, responsable sol / Fireman, ground staff manager
[email protected]

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Does anybody have any recent news from Abbeville on whether the proposed Customs cessation has been overturned and they, like Calais, will continue to offer a service?

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:53 pm

The proposal has not been overturned. but it has not taken effect either. Abbeville is on the latest published list of PPF http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 016:FR:PDF

The now ex-Minister of Transports is on record as stating that it is up to the local préfets to argue the case for the continuation of Customs services at those aviation border crossings considered inactive by the government.

On the Blois weekend last year UK pilots were queueing up at Abbeville to get fuel and file FPLs, so hopefully Picardie will be able to convince the new goverment that their PPF is not 'inactive'.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:54 pm

BTW. I looked up Abbeville pre-planning first clearance in France (wx permitting) for a Rans S6 trip down to Chauvigny later this week. NOTAMs show it's effectively closed for visitors Sat/Sun. so regardless it's not suitable this time round,

I e-mailed Le Touquet, twice, yesterday, still hoping for an answer as to if VFR & no txpdr O.K. and what are their landing fees.
On first glance they aren't too much on the ball; whereas Calais have that nice Customs e-mailable from.
Problem is it means a big wrong direction dog-leg. Can anyone savvy out there pls. comment on Le T. or ???

mike.

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Mike,

Unless you have other information, that NOTAM should not stop you going to Abbeville, as it covers model aicraft flying from February to December.

LFFA-E0448/12
A) LFOI ABBEVILLE
B) 2012 Feb 15 08:00 C) 2012 Dec 31 23:59
D) FEB 15-MAR 24 0800-SS,
MAR 25-OCT 27 0700-SS,
OCT 28-DEC 31 0800-SS
E) CREATION OF A TEMPORARY MODELFLY ACTIVITY OVER ABBEVILLE AD.
LATERALES LIMITS : 500M RADIUS HALF-CIRCLE CENTERED ON PSN (50 08
04N 001 50 37E) BETWEEN RDL310 AND RDL130.
F) SFC
G) 880FT AMSL

As for L2K, from recent personal experience, I am sure you will not have a problem being allowed in non-transponder, if you tell them this when crossing the FIR boundary. They have a permanent Customs service, so no need for prior notice of your arrival and they will most probably answer your email tomorrow.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:16 pm

I nearly couldn't reply as the forum 'reply' kept misdirecting me.

Yesterday when I looked up LFOI there was a different NOTAM on show saying only a/c based there or with explicit approval of the director could use it over two days next w/end.

Now it shows instead the regular modelling warning - true ??

I'll wait & see what Le Touquet come up with, though again their site does appear to ask for two hours warning for Customs i.e.

HOR ATS. PPR PN 2 HR avant / before ETA par / by :

- Email : [email protected]

ou / or [email protected] - FAX : 03 21 05 59 34

La demande de douanes doit comporter les renseignements suivants :

- Immatriculation de l’ACFT,

- Nom du CDB,

- Nom des PAX avec numéros de passeport ou carte d’identité.

The customs request must include the following information:

- ACFT registration,

- Captain’s name,

- PAX names with passport number or identity card number. UNQUOTE.

Still it seems an e-mail even if home grown is enough. Worst obstacle is Wx.

mike.

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 pm

for info

Subject: Re: PNR Customs
To: "Donald Walker" < ... @btinternet.com>
Date: Sunday, 18 March, 2012, 9:55

Hello,

It is no more necessary now to file any customs notification 2 hours before coming.
You have just now to send your flight plan.

Best regards
Françoise

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:48 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: PNR Customs

Good afternoon,

I would appreciate clarification of the following:

The AD VAC says: "Customs, Police HOR ATS. PPR 2 hours before ETA, but your website says: "Pendant les heures d’ouverture de l’Aéroport, la présence du service des douanes vous permet d’atterrir ou de décoller sans préavis."

Do I need to send a flight declaration by email if I plan to arrive from the UK during ATS hours?

Thanks and regards

Donald Walker

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Mike,

Both Le Touquet & Calais are within Class D airspace and reading their AIP you need a transponder to access it. I know Le Touquet often allow non transponder aircraft entry but it shouldn't be assumed. Last year (or was it the year before :? ) I was returning from France and listening to Lille Info when a friend came on the frequency on his way to Le Touquet. When he told the Lille controller that he didn't have a transponder he was told that he wouldn't be accepted to land at Le Touquet. The controller volunteered to ask if it would be possible but came back with a negative answer. My friend then said he would go to his alternate of Calais and was told he also needed a transponder there. However, the controller spoke to Calais Tower and came back on the frequency to say he had been accepted.

Anyway, you would be much better at Abbeville, my favourite place to clear customs into France, and they need us to visit them if they are to retain that facility. With two runways, a wonderful restaurant, fuel, cheap landing fees and wonderful people, why would you want to go anywhere else?

Incidently, I am told that HOR ATS. PPR PN 2 HR means "Outside ATC hours 2 hours notice".

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 am

Incidently, I am told that HOR ATS. PPR PN 2 HR means "Outside ATC hours 2 hours notice".
John,

Whoever told you that is wrong. HOR stands for Horaire ou à heure fixe = Fixed schedule or time

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr ... EN-2.2.pdf

Hors means outside, so that is probably where the confusion arose.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:36 am

Happy to be corrected, Donald.

I have to say that I found it an unlikely translation but it fitted the circumstances. Strange that the AIP is wrong.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:47 am

Useful info from Le Touquet came today.

QUOTE ... it is possible to land at LE TOUQUET with your ULM equipped with VHF but no transponder in special VFR....
It is not necessary to send any customs notification or request any PPR, just file your flight plan.
Landing fee for ULM is 12,50 euros including landing and parking for a few hours. UNQUOTE.

In view of the uncertain weather when one needs to make a quick decision "go, no-go" this simplifies the electronic paperwork at a modest fee by UK standards.
[Just compare; even an ordinary grass strip, Maypole north Kent, demand a whacking ~EU12 for landing, with a really welcoming £50 fine should you forget to ask first !]

mike hallam.