Leaving the circuit

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Daniel Scott

Leaving the circuit

Post by Daniel Scott » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:13 am

What is the best way to leave a busy circuit if take off direction and depature are opposite? The aircraft is slow (ground speed in the climb is below 50K ), if I climb ahead to 2000'+ and then turn back time and fuel have been used and I would have to go through traffic joining o/h. Turning down wind and climbing puts you with other always faster traffic. Going through the deadside would have you turning against the traffic and climbing through peoples aerobatic descents! Climbing to 2000'+ and going wider is probably the answer but uses much needed fuel and soon becomes a cross country of its own !
So, what is the best way to get out of Dodge and not get in the way?
Daniel Scott

johnmichie

Re: Leaving the circuit

Post by johnmichie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 am

aircraft in the circuit and aircraft being overtaken have right of way, it is the responsibility of those joining and/or overtaking to avoid them by following the rules of the air.

I would stay in the circuit and leave on whichever leg is nearest your departure heading, in this case downwind. Stay at circuit height until well clear to avoid aircraft descending to the overhead.

At some airfields with mixed traffic the microlights (which sounds like you!) fly tighter and lower circuits. Talk to the airfield.

HTH

John

Daniel Scott

Post by Daniel Scott » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm flying a J3, even the microlights are faster. Its only an issue when visiting, the traffic often seems to be using a massive circuit from my perspective. Thanks for the reply. Daniel Scott
Daniel Scott

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:15 am

Popham has two circuits; one for microlights (a closer and lower circuit) and the normal one for everything else. Works well here and allows the faster traffic to flow outside the slower stuff. As the previous poster said, keep a tight circuit and perhaps announce your intentions on the radio for situational awareness.
Tony Nowak

Harry Hopkins

Post by Harry Hopkins » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:07 pm

I'd suggest the safest way is to fly as if to remain in the circuit and then depart from the downwind leg. This should avoid any conflict with other traffic.

Best wishes,

Harry