Let's call it a succcess, shall we?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChampChump

Let's call it a succcess, shall we?

Post by ChampChump » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:41 pm

This is a positive thread.

Good weather, if not exactly as forecast, a steady stream of arrivals Friday and Saturday, no known incidents, so many people to catch up with, super atmosphere...what's not to like?

Many thanks to all who volunteered on the LAA side, Sywell for everything, MKAS for a job well done (despite having to deal with the odd pompous cranky not to be discussed here) and everyone for flying in, the enthusiasts for making us feel needed, together making it an absolutely splendid weekend.

There. Good news may be no news, but I can't help that.

8)
Nic Orchard

John Dean

Re: Let's call it a succcess, shall we?

Post by John Dean » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 pm

" an absolutely splendid weekend"

That says it all :) :)

andre faehndrich

Post by andre faehndrich » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 pm

Hiya everyone, just one small correction, MKAS have NOT been involved with the LAA Rally since 2010. They decided after the first LAA Rally at Sywell in 2010 that marshalling and airside access are not a a core activity for them and they pulled away, including stopping their affiliation with the LAA, as the first non-Strut, non-type Club affiliaited to the LAA.

However the main team stayed in place and in 2011 and this year, my team of Marshallers (made up primarily of the Air-Britain North Weald Team, led by Nigel Kemp plus several others) and my entire air side access team, made up of volunteers from many areas, have been part of the Sywell Aerodrome Team and have enabled the airside access to take place, with at least 4,500 people going airside safely in 2011.

This year both teams were busy once again doing their part to make the overall event another success and we look forward to doing so again in 2012. As ever if anyone is interested in helping out with either team, please get in touch with me ([email protected]) and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Meanwhile with my LAA hat on, I am also Chairman of YES (Youth & Education Support) the youth education branch of the LAA, and that team were also present at the LAA Rally with our first Build-a-Plane on display (BaP1 - RANS Coyote S6 G-TSOB), parts of BaP3 Zenair CH-701 G-OBAP, as well as a PA-38 Tomahawk simulator, as well as a plethora of Youth Education activities to encourage and inspire the youngsters of today, who will be the LAA members of tomorrow.

Simon Ring

Post by Simon Ring » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:54 am

3 days of unadultarated joy and fun. Thank you LAA, Sywell and all the event organiser and volenteers that made this annual event so splendid. Well done to all concerned. :D

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 am

Sorry about the error, Andre. :oops:
Nic Orchard

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 am

Yep, let's call it a resounding success.

From a a Youth and Education (YES) point of view it was the best Rally ever. More interest shown than ever before in what can/will be the future membership of the LAA.

Two new Youth Build a Plane projects announced for 2013.

£500 cheque presented to YES by AOPA UK for the LAAET fund.

Great attendance by members and enthusiasts. The aircraft were superb and the wonderful meet and greet atmosphere couldn't be bettered.

Well done all the back room boys and girls who worked so hard to arrange a great week-end.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D out of ten.

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am

John Dean wrote:" an absolutely splendid weekend"

That says it all :) :)
To put it crudely: Bloody good show. :D

andre faehndrich

Post by andre faehndrich » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm

No problem whatsoever Nic, just wanted to set the record straight, as many people thought the LAA were actually doing the air side access and that is definitely not the case.

linspuk

Post by linspuk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:33 pm

I agree, thoroughly well done all who made it a success.

I was very struck by the YES exhibits, full of admiration of all that the YES team are doing.
Lindsay Pennell

G-SQUO

Post by G-SQUO » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Does anyone know if a full list of visiting aircraft to the LAA Rally is likely to be published on the LAA website or do we usually tend to rely on aircraft enthusiasts to put something together sooner or later?
It would be nice to know for sure how many aircraft attended, a full listing would be superb!
Thanks
Paul
Paul Lewis 31688

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Paul, a full list will be posted as soon as we have it.

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 pm

We will publish a full listing on the LAA Photo reports website when we get the compilation prepared by Sywell ATC. We will then try and have an image of all aircraft attending the rally as well to compliment the listing.
Stuart Macconnacher

The Westmorland Flyer

Post by The Westmorland Flyer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 pm

My first LAA rally and I loved it! Thanks and kudos to everyone who had a hand in the organisation. I need to get next year's dates in my diary. Can I assume 30-Aug to 01-Sep, or is it the following weekend?
John Linford
Sportcruiser G-JONL

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi John, yes it is Aug 30 - Sept 1.