Octobers LA mag. : Superb

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Chris Martyr

Octobers LA mag. : Superb

Post by Chris Martyr » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 am

Well , it's been a bit quiet on the forum just lately, so just to show that it isn't only for moans ,groans and picking bones I thought that I would just take this opportunity to say what a brilliant content there was in this months LA mag .
Bob Ellis' article was spot-on , and the psychologies and philosophies of homebuilding apply to pretty much all of us ,regardless of the machine that we eventually desire to build .
Flying to Oshkosh , also a great piece . I know that modern technology has taken much of the error out of navigating , but looking down at the icy tundra from FL370 in pressurised comfort is a bit different from doing from 11,000ft in a piston engined aircraft that set off from Henstridge .
This may be 2012, but it is still real pioneering stuff. Brilliant .
Malcolm McBride, wot a bloke ! Load paths and stress cracks . Could be as dull as ditch water in the wrong hands ,but not this lad . I know folks who go straight to his column first . It takes a special knack to make airworthiness matters interesting and user friendly. Well done Malc.
Factor in the rest of the content and there you have it . Probably one of the best GA reads that you'll find anywhere . Bar none. Brian Hope,,,,,we salute you !

nuggets

Re: Octobers LA mag. : Superb

Post by nuggets » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Chris Martyr wrote:Well , it's been a bit quiet on the forum just lately, so just to show that it isn't only for moans ,groans and picking bones I thought that I would just take this opportunity to say what a brilliant content there was in this months LA mag .
Bob Ellis' article was spot-on , and the psychologies and philosophies of homebuilding apply to pretty much all of us ,regardless of the machine that we eventually desire to build .
Flying to Oshkosh , also a great piece . I know that modern technology has taken much of the error out of navigating , but looking down at the icy tundra from FL370 in pressurised comfort is a bit different from doing from 11,000ft in a piston engined aircraft that set off from Henstridge .
This may be 2012, but it is still real pioneering stuff. Brilliant .
Malcolm McBride, wot a bloke ! Load paths and stress cracks . Could be as dull as ditch water in the wrong hands ,but not this lad . I know folks who go straight to his column first . It takes a special knack to make airworthiness matters interesting and user friendly. Well done Malc.
Factor in the rest of the content and there you have it . Probably one of the best GA reads that you'll find anywhere . Bar none. Brian Hope,,,,,we salute you !

yup ! just about says it all :) it`s stoked my `fire` up a bit :wink:
Paul Dennington

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm

How much free Ale are you getting for these posts?

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:20 am

I get the EAA magazine too which is as dull as ditchwater in comparison! When you consider their contrasting resources, the LAA team do a great job on the magazine.

And yes, it does need to be mentioned when something is good.

Colin
Colin Cheese

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:50 am

8 page report on Taylor Mono. Centre spread two page pic which always loses half the aircraft in the fold and makes it looked deformed.
Two pages of text on how to get into it and start the engine.Lots of comparisons with other aircraft ( does the writer want us to know he also flies anything else ( apart from the Tiger Moth, Stearman? Harvard? and Yak that seem to get frequent mentions ).
Possibly a quarter page about how it flies.

Now you can call me picky if you like but if I were thinking of buying one I think I might be a tad more interested in how it flies and handles.

Sorry didn't really do it for me.
John Cook

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Agree that this month was a cracker.

Just a thought...is there any chance that access to some of those pics that are not used could be made possible? Surely there are hundreds of cracking shots that get dropped to the floor of the 'cutting room'? In the internet age it ought to be possible to upload a whole memory card to the internet for people to view? A single view of an engine installation is a shame when there is good inspiration to be had from a shot taken from a different angle. Does this make sense?

Probably some sort of copyright issue?

PS. Hoping to get my medical back sometime soon. :D
Rob Thomas

JimCrawford

Post by JimCrawford » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:21 pm

I must agree!
Excellent mag this week, possibly the best content packed issue so far. I was concerned when the mag went monthly that it was too ambitious and could end up being rather thin, but the content of this particular issue is exactly what I joined the PFA for.
I thoroughly enjoyed all the articles, especially the Taylor Mono, but then I could be biased as I've been building one for :shock: years!

Jim
Jim Crawford