"booking out" and SERA requirements

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nigel Hitchman

"booking out" and SERA requirements

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 pm

There was something on this in the Flyer newsletter I got yesterday, mentioning the UK's adoption, but implimentation in 2 years time. One of the changes mentioned was this:

• Some modifications to flight planning requirements. For example, the UK expects to keep the existing process of ‘booking out’ at an airfield before a flight but will consider whether to introduce some form of ‘booking in’ at the end of a flight

What does this really mean. Are they just talking about flights where a flightplan is filed and there is a process to book out and open the flightplan with the local ATC and they are now considering a requirment for some form of "booking in" at the end of the flight, ie closing the flightplan, as is done in most other countries.
If so then fair enough, as long as we can close the flightplan with the likes of London information or another local airfield and not have to run around trying to close it once landed at a private strip!
TO be honest, as the reason most people file a flightplan, is to cross an international boundary, why cant I close the flightplan as soon as I have done that. Once Im over Kent, on my way home there is no reason I need a flightplan, just as there is no reason to have a flightplan if I had flown to Lydd and back.
Hopefully they are also sorting things out in Europe, for those inside Schengen, as there is no requirement to clear customs/immigration, why is there a need to file a flightplan to cross a border. Why do I need a flightplan to fly from Calais to Ostende, just because it is in Belgium, when sensibly, I dont need a flightplan to go from Calais to Nice.

However this whole subject might be something different. Is it saying there is a requirement to "book out" for all flights and now they want to make a requirement to "book in" for all flights. I think somewhere in the ancient laws of the CAA there is a requirement to "book out" for every flight. What is the point of this? I guess it comes from the early days of civil aviation when aircraft werent very reliable and you never knew if they were going to make it to thier destination, maybe there was a point then, there surely isnt now. This was in the same era, a man with a red flag had to walk infront of any motor vehicles I think!
So lets make sure no extra requirements are forced on us and do our best to get rid of this pointless ancient rule. Ive never heard anyone booking in or out in the USA, why do we need to do it here?

gasax

Re: "booking out" and SERA requirements

Post by gasax » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm

IIRC we need it here because Michael Bentine's (yes him - potty men etc) son went missing in an Auster and it took some considerable time for his body to be found. The well connected Mr Bentine bent politicians ears until this 'need' was established.

Since then of course all sorts of people consider it a necessity for search and rescue and just general busybodiness. Of course then there is stuff like the current Operation Pegasus and of course Special Branch nonsense for NI, the CI etc.

p.s. When filling out the Special Branch form do people like Martin McGuinness admit to having been members of a terrorist organisation?????
Pete Morris

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:13 pm

Can someone point me in the direction of the rule/law requiring us to book in/book out ? Does this only apply to operations from particualr types of aerodrome ? Such as licensed or those with full blown ATC ?

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm

I drafted the response to SERA for all the GAA organisations and went to the meetings with Eurocontrol. I am presently dealing with the AMC to SERA and the final version of SERA itself which is with the EU for ratification.

I recall that there was debate about a requirement to book out as an alternative to filing a flight plan for all IFR flights - something we argued against strongly. I cannot recall this getting into the final document and I just searched it and found no instances of the phrase "book out" anywhere. Can someone say where this issue came from and the precise wording of it?

John

Dave Evans

Post by Dave Evans » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Bill,

Rule 17(2) of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2007 states:

'The commander of an aircraft arriving at or departing from an aerodrome in the United Kingdom shall take all reasonable steps to ensure, upon landing or prior to departure, as the case may be, that the person in charge of the aerodrome or the air traffic control unit or flight information service unit at the aerodrome is given notice of the landing or departure'

At most uncontrolled airstrips, a movements log fulfils the requirement.

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Dave Evans wrote:Bill,

Rule 17(2) of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2007 states:

'The commander of an aircraft arriving at or departing from an aerodrome in the United Kingdom shall take all reasonable steps to ensure, upon landing or prior to departure, as the case may be, that the person in charge of the aerodrome or the air traffic control unit or flight information service unit at the aerodrome is given notice of the landing or departure'

At most uncontrolled airstrips, a movements log fulfils the requirement.
Thanks Dave, So what happens when the owner of the strip isn't bothered? :)

Dave Evans

Post by Dave Evans » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 pm

As I read it, responsibility rests with the aircraft commander.....

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:31 pm

John,
I saw this in a flyer newsletter that they send me by email. The wording was as per my second paragraph as I remember, but I dont have the original email now.

Given what it says in Rule 17(2) as quoted above, then it would seem there is really no need to write anything, all you need to do is take reasonable steps to inform those people mentioned. Thus surely if you have spoken to someone on the radio or phone, then you have done this. Or if you happen to see one of those people and tell them. I cant see why anything else needs to be done. If this is all the rule there is, then surely no need to keep a movement book or write anything down.
Reasonable steps suggests that the steps should be appropriate to the necessity for doing the job. As there is no reason for doing this other than because someone has written a rule and it is the same as telling someone you have parked in Tescos car park, then no further effort needs to be taken.
Obviously if the airfield owner decides they want something different then you have to apply by their rules, such as needing to pay a landing fee and record that you have done this.
Ive never written anything in a book in the USA, or in France, except at a customs airfield, or one that charged a landing fee. Why do we keep this ancient rule in the UK?? Or actually if the quote is correct, why do we gold plate the rule and make it into something it isnt.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 pm

John,

the wording has appeared again at the top of page 9 in the latest LAA mag, looks like exactly the same press release as was in the Flyer newsletter.

thanks

Nigel

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 am

As the main "controller" (or dimwit radio operator at Popham) we infrequently get a call from D&D (missing aircraaft), Farnborough (lost communication), or Solent (usually after an infringement!) asking the whereabouts or intentions of some aircraft or other. If they did not book out, and quite few don't! even though we have a simple booking in/out system, I have no way of answering the relevant query as to where the plane had come from or where it was intending to go. Aircraft do not always finish up where they originally intended! We are only Air/Ground and our view from the only "Tower" in the country situated below the level of the runway is very limited. As an example I once had a query about an aircraft that landed on R21 non-radio (radio faiure while working Farnborough) and disappeared to our back parking and I did not even know it had landed as I cannot see down R21 from our radio position. This particular event started an unnecessary D&D searh because the pilot never booked in so I could not advise D&D it was here!

As regards private strips, like Popham or any other airfield, they all visited regulary by Special Branch so the owners must also keep record of movements. We get a SB visit every couple of months when they check our movement sheets.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Also, regardless of the 'legal' element in the above.

Booking out/in pricipally helps demonstrate greater than 28 days movements use for 'x' years - it secured my Common Law rights of change of use of the land to an airfield.

The representative of the Law goes to the field & studies the 'C' book from time to time but never questions its completeness or accuracy. He sometimes asks for a list of resident's a/c.

Some strips I visit don't have or want a book as they fancy the lower profile and fewer recorded flights the better. Personally I think they're daft as the ones I know have been operating for years so should have safely acquired change of use. Perhaps they think they scrape by under 28 days a year if no record exists. However change of use includes keeping a plane on site, even the existence of structure it lives in - both of which will be 365 days a year.

IMHO all in all booking in/out is a positive advantage all round.

mike hallam