Forum Address

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Keith Jillings

Forum Address

Post by Keith Jillings » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I've been in conversation with several other LAA members. None of us have been able to access this forum for some time.

I've just sussed the reasons.

1. There are TWO LAA Forums on the Internet. This one, which works (but see 2 below) and another one at http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/bbs/index.php which looks genuine but doesn't work. That one needs to be removed and replaced by a link to this one. Otherwise, all those members with shortcuts to the Forum (like me and those others) will think you've disappeared. There is a link at the top of that one saying "Please use the new Forum - access it from the LAA website" but the link is broken and doesn't come here.

2. In the tiny print at the bottom of the screen on this site (scroll down to see it) is a message that you have to accept cookies. If you don't click the green bar on there, you will keep getting thrown back to the login screen. That ought to be in bold script, flashing colours, etc to make it obvious.

I've posted this here in the hope that those members unable to log on will see it and know what to do.
Suffolk Coastal Strut, Jodel Flyer
Most people know me as "Keef".

John Dean

Re: Forum Address

Post by John Dean » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for posting that, Keith. I am not sure why our technical gurus decided to retain the old forum when they updated to the new software and I will see what can be done to ensure it's deleted or made invisible.

However, when I try the link from the left hand side of the LAA home page, it does open this forum's index page. Where does it take you?

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi John, Keith isn't referring to links(short-cuts) within the new website, but those that members may have on there own PC's. Either in a browser, or desktop short-cut. Unless it is redirected or flagged up as an old link they will think the forum has died.

I'm going to take this opportunity to highlight another issue that I raised with Penny back in May, that has still not been resolved. User names are still case sensitive. If you get the wrong case you will appear to login OK, but are directed to your details. All attempts to post anything fail. At the time I appeared to be the only person to notice this, but there are reports on the Flyer Forum of other having the same issue. For example "Ian Melville" is acceptable but "ian melville" is not. Not everyone can remember what case they used for the login name
Ian Melville

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:01 pm

That's interesting,Ian. I have just tried logging in with "John Dean" and then logging out and back in again with "john dean" and was successful with both.

If you haven't tried recently, could you do so again and let me know how you get on?

Keith Jillings

Post by Keith Jillings » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:34 pm

I just logged in with my name all in lower case, and it worked. It shows in upper and lower case at the top right. That problem may be confined to specific users.

The link that doesn't work is the one at http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/bbs/index.php where it says "Please use the new Forum - access it from the LAA website" as a clickable link. That clickable link actually points at
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... 2c1465117f
on my PC. That may be unique to me.

It should be a very easy job for whoever operates the server at lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/bbs to change the whole setup to redirect here.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks, Keith. I see which link you mean now.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:58 am

Log in as 'ian melville' Still fails for me. If i try to post a new topic or respond to a thread I get sent to my profile details.
Ian Melville

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:20 am

Keith Jillings wrote:I just logged in with my name all in lower case, and it worked. It shows in upper and lower case at the top right. That problem may be confined to specific users.
So does mine, however while logged in with a lower-case name, I can no longer see the buttons to edit my posts, Delete or Quote, nor am I able to post anything new.

It may be that it is just a few accounts, but then it may be that I am not explaining the issue very well. Neither Keith, nor John have confirmed that they have attempted to post a message while logged on with a lower case user-name (assuming it wasn't lower-case on creation)
Ian Melville

Keith Jillings

Post by Keith Jillings » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:00 am

Ian Melville wrote:Neither Keith, nor John have confirmed that they have attempted to post a message while logged on with a lower case user-name (assuming it wasn't lower-case on creation)
I logged in as keith jillings and posted the one above. The identity box at the top right showed me as Keith Jillings. It seems that in my case it's not case sensitive. As you suggest, it may be that I created it as keith jillings and it knows to ignore upper case!

Anyway, it's all something for the Forum Admins to take a look at. It's all in the PHP somewhere!
I do this stuff on other forums in various places - it's not difficult, but you do need FTP access.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks Keith, obviously there is something specific about my profile and that of jaycee58 (what ever his user-name is on this forum).

I'm going to leave it in the hands of the admin team, the forum PHP should not be so inconsistent and fussy
Ian Melville

Graham Clark

Post by Graham Clark » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks to Ray Delves' guidance, I have at last managed to log in (if this appears) !
Thanks Ray.