Minnow fish carb on VW

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

AWMN

Minnow fish carb on VW

Post by AWMN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

I have been asked to post a question for a fellow Luton Minor owner.

Chris recently purchased a Luton Minor. The engine is a VW 1830 fitted with a Minnow fish Carburettor. It seems to run well at higher rev's but does not like tick over. Has any forum members have any experiance with this set up and may be able to offer set up advice?

Until I had a look at this instalation I had never heard of this carb!

Stuart Penfold
Stuart Penfold

Bill McCarthy

Re: Minnow fish carb on VW

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 pm

There seems to be loads of information on "Google" on the carb in question, including the fitting of one to a VW.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:37 pm

A buddy of mine did hundreds of hours in his Sonerai 2 with a Fish (it was a Reece Fish, is that the same?)

These units were used on racing minis donkey's years ago. I'll have a word with him.

AWMN

Post by AWMN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 am

Thankyou Nigel, Any information would be great.

Chris had done the usual web search and has also spoken to the company that originaly made these carbs. What he was hopping for was to be able to talk to somebody with first had experiance of actualy using one.

Stuart
Stuart Penfold

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:26 pm

My experience was many years ago, when I fitted a Reece fish (I think they were available from 'Minnow or 'Reece'?) carb to a VW beach buggy I had built. As I recall, the setting of the carb was done in three stages:

1. You established that the throttle butterfly was fully open at the full throttle position, then you timed the car between two points under full throttle acceleration. After the first run, you removed a 'Allen' grub screw in the carb body, to gain access to an internal 'Allen' adjuster screw that restricted the maximum fuel flow (effectivly an adjustable main jet). This adjustment could only be made at full throttle, when the inner screw would line up with the access hole. The car was timed again and this proccess repeated until the best performance was attained. A rolling road made this much easier! For info, the fuel enters the venturi via six little holes in the hollow throttle butterfly spindle!

2. The next adjustment was to slacken a clamp screw on the throttle butterfly and carefully move the butterfly on it's spindle until the mid-range mixture was somewhere near correct.

3. Finally, the idle speed was adjusted with a standard 'stop' screw on the throttle butterfly spindle and the idle mixture adjusted with a seperate mixture screw (I think the 'idle' fuel entered the venturi via a little port below the closed butterfly?).

Hope that helps. Apologies if I seem a bit vaugue on some details, but it was 40 years ago!

Good luck!
Steve Bryan

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:41 pm

I should have Googled in the first place and saved myself the typing! Here's a link to some original Minnow fish info:

http://www.historicvws.abelgratis.com/t ... w_fish.htm

Worth looking at as there do seem to be some subtle differences between the Reece and Minnow carbs?
Steve Bryan

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Stuart, Ernie Hoblyn had a Minnow Fish carb on the VW in his Colibri G-BUDW many years ago and would be happy to help you. He's not on this forum but I've sent you his details in a PM.
Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 pm

AWMN wrote:Thankyou Nigel, Any information would be great.

Chris had done the usual web search and has also spoken to the company that originaly made these carbs. What he was hopping for was to be able to talk to somebody with first had experiance of actualy using one.

Stuart
Stuart,
I've just heard that Micky is mid Atlantic on a 3 masted schooner heading for Rio! Might be a while before I can get any info I'm afraid!