Brian North - RIP

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Gaznav

Brian North - RIP

Post by Gaznav » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:17 pm

I have just learned that Brian North (ex Wg Cdr Engineer and PFA inspector) has been killed in a light aircraft accident in Colorado. Some of you may remember Brian before he left for the US as he built a Pazmany PL-4 (G-PLIV) and also a SE5a Replica (G-CEKL). I believe that Brian was flying the SE-5a at Front Range Airport when he crashed and the aircraft caught fire. He is well known to the members of the Halton Aero Club where he was a member for many years.

My thoughts are with Brian's family at this difficult time.

RIP my friend.

Gary Coleman

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... ge-airport
Gary Coleman

macconnacher

Re: Brian North - RIP

Post by macconnacher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Very sad: Brian was a good friend of many of us in the Chiltern Strut.
I first got to know him as one of the workers who set up the Rallys at Cranfield in the 80s. A stalwart of knocking in fence posts and any other tasks needed before and after the rally. It was some time before we found out that he was a Winco and only then by accident since he was never one to let you know his rank.
I think someone from the BoB Flight was giving the PFA crew grief about fencing off a BoB Flight aircraft demanding priority over all other tasks so Brian went into help and gathered the materials to help out only to be given grief himself. He took this for a short while and then whispered in the NCOs ear a few words. A snap reply of "Yes Sir" let us get on. At a drink break some time later he was asked what he had said and reluctantly admitted to having had to inform the NCO that he was out of order and if he continued he would have report him and by the way as a serving Wing Commander his complaint would have some weight. That was the first time many of us found out including a couple of serving NCOs who were also part of the PFA team.
Stuart Macconnacher