English Language proficiency assessment at Flying Show

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Cookie

English Language proficiency assessment at Flying Show

Post by Cookie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Dear members,

I will be available on Saturday at The Flying Show to conduct English Language assessment, as required upon application for an EASA licence or Radio Telephony licence. Irv Lee will be available on the CAA stand on Saturday and Sunday also.

This service will be available to LAA members and non-members. Please bring along your licence, photo ID (passport or driving licence), and a copy of your photo ID for me to certify. You may wish to bring along a SRG1199 aswrll, although I will have a stock of these.

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... l&nid=2190

BRgds,

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Will Greenwood

Re: English Language proficiency assessment at Flying Show

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:12 am

Great idea Jon, I hope the members use this PCS facility and enjoy the show.

Regards Will Greenwood (National Coach)

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 am

I'm sure I speak on behalf of lots of folks. Thanks to Jon and others on the LAA stand for their valiant campaign to get us through the loop of red tape that is the language proficienct debacle. The good humour of fellow sufferers made the wait a social occasion.
I am now the proude holder of a sistificate indicating I'm an expert. Had to happen eventually :wink:

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:50 pm

You got a sistificate? I got nothing, they took my form, I think Irv signed it and then it went into a cupboard. Perhaps there was a shredder inside :-)
Still cannot prove nutting
Ian Melville

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Oi got me a form fillud owt by Jon C. He let me keap ut, sow ay ave pruf of me Engurlish profishensy.
Gonna keep form as my sistificate ov profishensy until oi needa new radio lisunse :wink:

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Oi bin proper done den
:D
Ian Melville

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 am

Before bothering to get an appointment with an examiner and filling in an SRG1199, it would be worth phoning the CAA Flight Crew Licencing Dept (01293 573700), quote your licence number and ask if they have a record of your English Language Proficiency level. It should have been recorded at the time of your last BFR.
Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Referring to the sabove comment, as far as I am aware it would only have been recorded at your last BFR if the instructor was also a Radio Examiner (and there are only half a dozen of these that are LAA Coaches). If you have had any LPC check or other "Test" then the Examiner should have recorded you as level 6 (provided you spoke English of course)!

I actually telephoned CAA FCL because like many other licences I have seen I only had "Language Proficiency: English" (no level) on mine and after a lengthy delay I was told that I was actually registered as a "Level 6" because unbeknown to me the kind examiner had filled in the relevant box when I did my last MEP renewal a couple of years ago!

As an LAA Coach I see quite a few licences when doing BFR's that have this "problem" so it really is worth phoning to check you own status. Bear in mind that I have also come across people who have found that they do not have ANY level certified on the CAA database ("Level 0)" even though they actually still do have "Language Proficiency: English" printed in their licence! Work that one out!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks to Jon and others on the LAA stand for their valiant campaign to get us through the loop of red tape that is the language proficienct debacle.
My mates are loving the irony of a Brummie assessing English Proficiency!

Cookie
Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman

Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Just found out that a friend of mine (who has full CAA "Examiner" privileges and is fully English by descent) and is the CFI of a CAA flight school in Spain has now telephoned the CAA and found that he is only a "level 4" on their database. Interestingly enough he has been examining people for many many years and checking that they are "Level 6" which has been totally acceptable to the CAA! During this time he himself has had quite a few I/R, MEP, etc., LPC checks. The CAA have now grudgingly elevated him to a "6"!

Please keep the phone calls to Gatwick Towers going to check your own status, especially if you have had an LPC check or Test of any sort . . . .