france fly & camp

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Graeme Bird

france fly & camp

Post by Graeme Bird » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:26 pm

I would like to take my 14 year old over the water and camp for a night by the plane,wander into a town and eat etc.
I know Granville is fantastic for that but I would like to do the short water bit before we go for the half hour praying for the engine not to stop.
Anybody have any recommendations ?
St Omer would be good, but I am not sure you can camp there.

Graeme
G MROY

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Graeme, St Omer is a very welcoming airfield but like many small French fields is quiet during the week and only really comes to life at the weekend. It is walkable to a pleasant enough town, and you will be able to camp on the field. About 5k from the airfield (opposite direction to town) is La Cupole, a WW2 German facility for assembling and launching V2 rockets that fortunately was overun before it coulddo any damage. it is a huge underground cavern with a very thick concrete domed roof. It was restored as a musem a few years back and is very interesting with much about the German rocket technology. Headsets explain in English as you walk round. No Customs at St Omer so you will have to clear through Calais (now 24 hours prior notice required).

Abbeville has a Motel and excellent restaurant on the airfield. Camping allowed. Again the walk into a rather uninspiring town is doable. Customs is only 2 or 4 hours PNR.

Graeme Bird

France - ST Omer FLQN

Post by Graeme Bird » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks very much Brian, I have given them a call and it all sounds ok, we will give that a try on either 20th June or 27th. It looks like the town is close enough to wander into. I tried to get an email address off them but I couldn't understand what was being said!
I spoke to a 'Gilbere Manell' who is the airfield president on +33321382542

Maybe someone else fancies joining us?

Regards Graeme

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Gilbert is indeed the club president.You will not fly into a friendlier airfield in France than St.Omer.It is my favourite place.If you want any help or info P.M.me.
Would love to come over that weekend ,even for a day trip,but not sure at this point in time if I'll be free.
Their web site is (no www.) acsto.free.fr

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:51 pm

How did you get on? :?: