Four more pilot/controller reports on FlyOnTrack

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

FlyOnTrack

Four more pilot/controller reports on FlyOnTrack

Post by FlyOnTrack » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 pm

As well as being useful for bucket-counts, the surveys sent out by NATS to infringers come back with pilot voluntary reports as to what was actually happening. Always useful to learn from others' mistakes so as to be aware 'they happen'. I've added four new ones (31-34). http://flyontrack.co.uk/content/reports.asp
GASCo's FlyOnTrack - Reducing Airspace Infringements
http://www.flyontrack.co.uk

Brian Hope

Re: Four more pilot/controller reports on FlyOnTrack

Post by Brian Hope » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:57 am

These reports make interesting reading but I have no idea how typical they are, so I accept that making even cursory analysis of them is wholly unscientific and possibly very flawed. However, of the examples shown, a very quick summation shows that about 17 of the infringements were caused by poor navigation and could probably been prevented had the pilot been using a GPS. A surprising number of the infringements (15) were altitude busts through incorrect altimeter setting or poor chart reading, and again, although clearly better preparation and planning were called for, a GPS could have alerted the pilot that he was approaching controlled airspace in time for him to have changed heading and/or height and had a proper look at the chart and his altimeter. Only one of the infringements appears to be blamed on GPS, that due to two instruments giving conflicting information.
Maybe there is a clear message here - GPS is the best navigating tool you can put into your aeroplane. I accept that it should not be totally relied upon and you should have a plog and marked up chart and follow the route properly so that you can continue safely should the GPS go down. But quite why people are getting lost in the twenty-first century because they tuned to the wrong VOR or mis-identified a ground feature I do not know. If you want to know where you are and where you are potentially headed, without having to keep your head inside the cockpit for longer than necessary and without having to make mind-numbing calculations (VOR/ADF/DME), fit a decent GPS and learn how to use it.

D M Johnstone

Post by D M Johnstone » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Brian,
I agree with you. It still amazes me that newly qualified pilots are not taught how to use a GPS.
Our recently retired CFI was amazed & delighted when I showed him Skydemon. Asked what he would prefer to use in poor vis he went for he GPS every time.

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:17 pm

“And whets wrong with candles” Unfortunately it’s the tail wagging the dog. Again :(
Mike Blyth

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Four candles?
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.