Fuel Prices and availability

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

gregorp

Fuel Prices and availability

Post by gregorp » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:56 pm

I am sure this has been asked before, but- is there still nowhere on the internet that lists GA fuel prices and availability AND is up to date?

If not why not?

Pete
Pete Gregory

Nigel Hitchman

Re: Fuel Prices and availability

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 am

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51535

of course only as up to date as people report, there is also a thread with UL91 prices

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:47 pm

It's one of those nice ideas that are very difficult to achieve. Truth is wherever you go you're going to be bled white - just slightly varying degrees of pain.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Come on guys, bled white, I have just put 7500 litres in the ground, I have the pump cost and ongoing maintenence, the fuel licence ( council having their draw) plus stopping whatever we are doing to dispense anything from 20 ltrs upwards, most fuel providers don't do it as a profit centre it is purely a service that hopefully covers the nut at the end of the day. If we were selling the same volumes as Tesco then it would be a different matter, but it isn't it is aviation and it is low volume both in purchase and supply and we all pay the penalty for that I am afraid.
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 am

Hi Paul, I wasn't suggesting that the airfield owners were to blame for the high cost of Avgas, though the sometimes wide vairence in price suggests that some are not averse to upping the price somewhat. Mogas is very expensive too, compared to what it was a few years ago, and there is competition in that market; it's just a fact of life we have to put up with but I believe it is the single most reason that we are seeing less flying going on these days.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Brian , no didn't take it with any malice, I was just trying to put another perspective on an already sensitive issue.

A wise old pilot once said to me half the people flying today can't afford to, the problem is that once the bug has bitten it is a difficult one to shake off. The net result is that a lot of aircraft and pilots are so finely balanced that increases such as fuel can and do make things grind to a halt. We see the results of both GA and permit aircraft maintenance that has been skimped and put off to exemely dangerous levels we recently had an aircraft in (GA) 8 months out of annual ( not done by us) with a hole the size of an index finger in the exhaust within the cabin heat muff, the only reason the pilot was alive was that he didn't fly with cabin heat on!!!! This was just one of about 25 significant defects on this aircraft, but the previous maintenance had been "cheap", but they had gone out of business, good job to.

At the end of the day the fuel is the cheapest thing, insurance, hangerage, maintenance are the chunky bits.

Cheers

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Dave Stephens

Post by Dave Stephens » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Paul,

Will have to fly up in the week soon, need to buy some of that excellent glass cleaner you sell as I'm nearly out. Be good to catch up, it's been ages!

Dave

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 pm

No probs, hope you are doing well, regards to Dean

Cheers P
(Bob Hoover)