Norwich Controlled Airspace

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Brady

Norwich Controlled Airspace

Post by John Brady » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 pm

The CAA will shortly be holding a post implimentation review of the Norwich CAS.

If you have any views or observations on how this has worked from the viewpoint of GAA please post a note here, preferably with specific details, and I will compile an input to the review.

John

LAA Airspace Team

James Chan

Re: Norwich Controlled Airspace

Post by James Chan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

As a private pilot who typically flies from A to B, the establishment of Norwich CAS has had very little impact to my flying.

Before CAS I have been using Norwich for LARS anyway, and putting CAS there just meant that I needed to talk to them and request for transit rather than being given an option to fly through their approach path silently.

I don't recall of a time where I was refused clearance and got pretty much any route I wanted, so I can say it has worked okay for me.

The only peculiarity I've seen was why they decided to have a tiny chipping to the south west and south east of their area when there was no other airfield or intensive flying area beneath that. It seemed to clutter up my chart a little more while adding little value to the flight.

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm

We now have official notification of this review with responses required by 31 May.

Any input please?

John

Alan Cooper

Post by Alan Cooper » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 am

John One very unsatisfactory experience when my timely request for a transit at a very quiet time was forgotten by the trainee controller on duty.Result was a rapid need to action the remain clear plan having waited too long after the initial acknowledgement of my request.I reported this unsatisfactory state of affairs to DAP who I believe established the cause with the unit.The Norwich Satco did not even have the courtesy to reply to my letter enquiring as to why service had not been provided.I now avoid the Norwich airspace routing around and have had very satisfactory service from the radar unit that looks after the North Sea helicopters....extra track miles every trip to the Norfolk North coast.Class D is excessive for Norwichs limited and declining amount of CAT.Hopefully the Norwich tax payers will tire of funding this loss making facility and class G will prevail again.Best regards and good luck I believe DAP are not totally impartial and also keen to protect and validate their previous policy decisions.

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 am

John,
Whilst the ATC folks at Norwich are widely reported as being a good bunch, we have a very different view WRT the management there.
Bearing in mind that we exposed some glaring misrepresentations in their case for CAS, particularly the matter of military traffic, I'd be interested to know their movements stats in comparison with predictions given in the submission for CAS? Have they declined to an extent that would have meant their application would have been turned down ?

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:49 pm

I don't know what the predictions were, but since 2007 passenger numbers have fallen 43% from 699.000 to 397.000.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_da ... p_2007.pdf

SteveHutt

Post by SteveHutt » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Steve Hutt