Language Proficiency at Popham and Aero Expo

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Cookie

Language Proficiency at Popham and Aero Expo

Post by Cookie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 pm

LAA Pilot Coaching Sheme

The LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme will be in attendance at the Popham microlight fair on 04th and 05th May, and Aero Expo on 01st and 02nd June. PCS chairman Jon Cooke and LAA coach John Brady will be available to sign your Level 6 English Language Proficiency, as well as discuss any licensing and training enquiries. At other events where the LAA trade stand is present, LAA coaches will be available to assist with enquiries. With us already in the transition to EASA, please do come along and have a chat.

There will be a number of other LAA coaches at Popham too; Chris Thompson, LAA coach, will be there as Air/Ground operator for the event, as well as other coaches to assist with enquiries. Let's hope the weather improves for what is usually a busy and interesting weekend.

English Language Proficiency

For those who wish to use the Language Proficiency Endorsement service, please print off and bring along a Form SRG 1199 for us to sign. You will need to bring along some means of photo identification too. Form SRG 1199 states that a certified copy of your identification is required. However, the CAA have kindly agreed that where the form is completed by the Light Aircraft Association, a certified copy of your identification is not required.

The process is fairly simple and will last less than ten minutes. It involves a face-to-face aviation-related conversation. This takes the form of some general conversation, some radio phraseology and pronunciation. Don't worry if you don't know the answer to any question you are asked, as it's a great opportunity for us to discuss this in English.

If you will be applying for an EASA licence you will also need some documents photocopied for us to certify. At the end of Form SRG 1104 is a checklist: bring along a copy of your passport or driving licence; a copy of your Certificate of Revalidation page; and, a copy of your medical for us to certify.

We will be making the process as easy as possible for you to complete whilst complying with CAA requirements. I look forward to seeing you there.

Jon Cooke
Pilot Coaching Scheme Chairman
Light Aircraft Association

Why do I need English Language Proficiency?

ICAO introduced the requirement in March 2008 for all pilots of aeroplane, helicopter, airship and powered lift aircraft to be proficient in their command of the languages that they use for radio communication. This is required in ENGLISH for the issue of a UK FRTOL. ICAO Annex I specifies the minimum standard for the holder of a licence to be Level 4, where Level 6 is fluent.
The ICAO standard for language proficiency has been applicable for some time, but EASA Aircrew Regulation makes it a requirement for the issue of a licence. In 2008 all Radio Telephony Licence holders were issued Level 4. Whilst Level 6 is a once only event and is valid for life, Level 4 is valid for 4 years, and Level 5 for 6 years. Therefore many UK licence holders now have an expired Language Proficiency on their electronic record.

This only becomes a problem when a licence application is processed, since a valid language proficiency is required for the CAA to issue the new licence.

What happens to the SRG 1199 form?

When your form is received by the CAA, they will enter your level of Language Proficiency on your electronic record. A Level 6 is fluent in English and this endorsement is valid for life, so should not need to be repeated. However, it is recommended that you keep a copy of the form should you need to provide evidence in the future.

Will I get a new licence printed with Level 6 entered in it?

No, you will not. When this form is received by the CAA they will enter Level 6 onto your electronic record. You will not receive any notification from the CAA. Should you wish to confirm the level which is entered on your record, e-mail [email protected]

What if I am not fluent English?

If you are not fluent English speaking you must be assessed at a Language School. Only expert and fluent English speakers may be endorsed at these events. If you are unsure, please review the documentation which provides guidance on language assessment.

Where can I find more information?

The CAA have produced Standards Document 51, which contains guidance for examiners and candidates on the process for the testing of English Language Proficiency. This contains extracts from the relevant legislation as to the rating scale, and what each level requires.
Jon Cooke

Cookie

Re: Language Proficiency at Popham and Aero Expo

Post by Cookie » Wed May 01, 2013 10:40 am

Just a reminder that we will be at Popham this Saturday and Sunday.
Jon Cooke

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Sat May 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Off to a bit of a slow start due to the rain showers, but a steady flow of customers all day which kept both myself and Alan Meredith busy with Language Proficiency Endorsements. Thanks to all those who made a donation to the LAA Educational Trust.

John Brady and Simon Wilson will be the LAA Coaches present on the LAA stand at Popham tomorrow, with better weather forecast.

Cookie
Jon Cooke

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 am

Here's a great example of Level 6 proficiency!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFv48IWhJw

Derek Doyle

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sun May 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Thank you John Brady at Popham today, for giving your day to checking we English speakers meet the changed CAA/EASA class 6 requirements.

mike hallam.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 am

A reminder that the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme will be present at Aero Expo.

On Friday, David Murcott will be present to answer questions about pilot licensing. Language Proficiency Endorsement is not available on Friday.

Jon Cooke will be there Saturday, and John Brady on Sunday to sign Language Proficiency Endorsements and answer questions on pilot licensing and training.

Don't forget to bring along your licence and photo identification if you wish to use this service, for which there is NO CHARGE.

Kind regards,

Cookie
Jon Cooke

Rich Valler

Re: L6 LPE at Popham NOT in CAA records

Post by Rich Valler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:25 am

Hello Jon (C)

I did my level 6 LPE assessment with you on Saturday May 4th at Popham. Today I rang FCL at CAA on another matter, and guess what? No level 6 recorded for me, no trace of any paperwork, nothing. :evil:

Am I the only one whose paperwork has gone awol? Or were the documents sent in as a batch with others, and that batch has been mislaid? There may be others who think their records are ok, but they are not.

Any suggestions how to progress?

Rich

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I sent the paperwork as three batches of scanned forms with a separate list as a summary on May 08th. I can confirm that yours was sent (and received by the CAA) to fclweb (at) caa.co.uk at 09:21 on May 08th.

Let me chase it for you tomorrow and I will also re-forward those batches to the CAA with an explanatory note. Give the CAA a call early next week to check :D

Kind regards,

Cookie

Edit: I've just had a check through and yours was in batch 3.
Jon Cooke

Rich Valler

Post by Rich Valler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Jon thanks for your e-mail and prompt action, much appreciated.
I shall call the CAA in a week or so.
Regards
Rich

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 am

E-mail received this morning from a contact at the CAA to say they have received my resend and it will be dealt with ASAP.

Cookie
Jon Cooke